First Polio Update on Necropsy

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jcran, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

I got a brief phone message from my vet yesterday... preliminary findings from UCDavis said that my buckling was negative for rabies (thank god, though my hubbie said my holiday spending had to be a sign of neurological decline-maybe true but then I've been declining since birth). In addition, it said that he tested negative for polio as well! The only results so far showed a degenerative spongiosis of the brain stem...hmmm, I am guessing they'll test for listeriosis as well, but I am now wondering if he didn't get some sort of toxin. Perhaps a bad mix of the monensin in the pellets he was getting crossed with the 40%dimethoxy? I'll fill in results as I hear them from Davis.

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Thanks for doing this. I'm very interested to know the results.

3. enjoy the ride

enjoy the ride Well-Known Member

I'm sorry if you answered this elsewhere- but I couldn't find anything. Did you ever get the diagnosis on your buckling?

4. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Joan, thanks for hte update. Hope they find the real reason.

I have a question for you, and I hope you don't think i am rude. But after it is all done can you please let us know the cost to have this done? I have never had a reason to do one, but I would like to have a idea what it will cost god forbid I have to have it done.
    Thanks, and have a wonderful day

5. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

The cost? Well, I am minus an arm and a leg; I paid 195 just for the exam, euthanasia and brain removal. I still am waiting for a final diagnosis AND the fees from UCDAVIS. I am guessing I'll get those on Christmas eve (only for the irony of course). The thing is: we'll be the ones eating top ramen. The goats still need good hay. Oh well, I'll keep you all updated as I find anything out.

6. mare

mare Well-Known Member Supporter

i hope since you spent so much that you will eventually find out what the problem was!!! please keep us posted.

7. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

When we had to put one of our does down, the charges were:

Local vet fee, test, diagnosis: 152.50

Then the final live exam, euthanasia and necopsy at OSU was under $100

Lynda

8. enjoy the ride

enjoy the ride Well-Known Member

Hi- Davis has always ended up costing less than the local vets for me- so maybe you'll be able to put an egg in the top ramen.