Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is a razorback/domestic cross. May even have some potbelly influence, I'm not sure of her genes. I kept her cause she was pretty. When the little ones are weaned she is going to the freezer since I am cutting back on total animals due to feed prices. The little ones are sired by my razorback. Six total 2 males and 4 females. A couple are very, very small but all are alert. If anyone is in the central Florida area- the little ones are all for sale or trade.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks cowgirlone and James. Already she suffocated one of the larger girls. :waa: I was expecting a nice little boar from this litter to keep as a breeder but that won't be the case. I've got a sister to this one due to farrow on the 16th- maybe she will produce a better prospect.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Tango said:
Thanks cowgirlone and James. Already she suffocated one of the larger girls. :waa: I was expecting a nice little boar from this litter to keep as a breeder but that won't be the case. I've got a sister to this one due to farrow on the 16th- maybe she will produce a better prospect.
(hands tissues to Tango)
I'm sorry to hear about the piglet.
I dont own pigs, but wanted to look at the picture anyway when I saw your thread. Too cute. :)
I hope the rest of the groups grows well.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks MomInGa, the remaining five made it through the night and look good and firm with plump bellies. I just don't understand why they are so little :confused: The mom is doing well and is not as protective as I thought she would be. She's a real heck raiser. So far I've gone up and checked them all out and she's left me alone. The razorback girl I raised from a 2-week orphan wouldn't even let me do that with her first litter. The smallest male has been held several times. He's only about 1 pound. I don't cut teeth or dock tails or anything so they haven't been as loud as they could have, but still. I was worried about her reaction to me. I'm relieved to see she is being a champ about my presence (especially since I'm so nosey when there are little ones to be held) :) .

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't think she has any pigs left- her afterbirths were accounted for. Six is about par for this type of pig, especially a first timer. She isn't in a farrowing pen. I've left the sows all in a 20 x 30 pen, with free movement. The little ones can go wherever they want , even outside the pen.

G

·
We try to give the pigs lots of hay or straw in their bed/nest in the winter and during farrowing. The pigs like to burrow through it so it stays pretty soft. If a mother rolls on to her piglet it has a little more breathing room this way. Our pot belly pigs look a lot like your razorbacks. They are really small but full of energy.

ElaineK

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unregistered said:
We try to give the pigs lots of hay or straw in their bed/nest in the winter and during farrowing. The pigs like to burrow through it so it stays pretty soft. If a mother rolls on to her piglet it has a little more breathing room this way. Our pot belly pigs look a lot like your razorbacks. They are really small but full of energy.

ElaineK
Hi Elaine,
My third sow is farrowing right now- pretty cool. This is my fourth litter and I've never seen one just shoot out like I did this morning. So far there are six piglets and they're all nursing. I have hay for them too but because they are not confined they choose whatever place suits them at the time. I think they choose cool sand because of our temperatures- only the second time farrower, Itchy, farrowed on the hay I had set out for her. But at least they get to nibble on it :) We have been getting into 90 degrees during the day and I'm out there with the hose three times from 11 to 7 to let them wallow and bathe. It has been very dry. Do you have any photos of your potbelly pigs?

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mizattitude said:
You are going to slaughter her? She is VERY pretty...Is she friendly at all?
LOL, funny you should ask that question because the past two days I've been thinking a lot about this one girl. She nuzzles her babies gently to sleep. It is cool to watch. I think this one I will be keeping and breeding again to a different razorback boar I hope to get. She is not as friendly as the one I hand -raised but I can't say any of them are crazy. I can't pet her or her sister and vaccination time is a special treat :) They are aloof more than anything though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.