Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to check on the bunnies before bedtime. Earlier I had gone out and given the does a pep talk. 4 are due. Well one of them is pulling fur. So I hope to go out this morning and have bunnies. I am actually afraid to go out to check. Being her first litter and with the experiences I have had as a kid first litters were usually not very good. So I am keeping my fingers crossed. I guess I had better just suck it in and go out and check. Fingers crossed.
Linda

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was afraid to go out so Tom went and checked. He called me from the barn on his cell and said I was a mom. LOL Fur is moving. :banana02: So now I guess I will go out and see how many. WOOHOO I am so excited this is our first litter.

Linda and Tom
proud new parents. LOL

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I went out and had good new and bad. The doe he checked has 7 or more babies. Warm and moving alot. :banana02: Covered them up real well and as soon as I closed the cage the doe jumped back in with them.
Bad news was her sister. She didnt pull fur and didnt use the box. I found 3 heads and one whole baby in her cage and one head in the next cage. So she had at least 5 maybe more. :Bawling: I think I read that I can rebred her tomorrow. So Lucky will get lucky again. He will be so happy.
Its going down to 20 tonight so will keep my fingers crossed that they will be ok. If I lose any I will bring them in the next nite but will let the doe try herself first. She seems to be a very attentive mommy. She pulled lots of fur for them.
Then I checked one of the other does. I GOT KICKED BY A BABY. Put my hand on her tummy and it kicked. I was thrilled. I think she will wait till sunday but will check every nite before turning in to see if there is any fur pulling. I bred her the same time as the other two but also 3 days later. I thought maybe 4 does in one nite was a bit much for him. But he wasnt complaining. LOL

Linda and Tom

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Congrats on the popples! :bouncy:

A lot of first time mommas just don't get it right. The sister rabbit will likely do better next time.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3rd doe had her buns last nite. 3 frozen. No fur pulled for a nest. But she did have them in the box. So sad and I felt them kick yesterday. One more due this week and she stopped eating today.
Good news is I did a check on the babies and there are 8 of them. Mommy is spending alot of time on the nest keeping them warm. Had to change to crocks today as everything is frozen. Mom grabbed the crock and threw it first thing. She is going to be a challenge to keep watered. Thought she would appreciate warm water. Guess not.
I am keeping my fingers crossed about the buns staying warm. Really hate going out and finding frozen babies. Tom doesnt want to breed them any more this year but says it is up to me. Not sure what to do. I do know I have one good cold weather mommy.

Is it possible to raise them this time of year? They are in an enclosed garage.

Linda and Tom

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Make sure her crock is tyed down or too heavy for her. Some of my does have thrown them in the box on top of the kits.
I just put 3 boxes in this morning. I hate the waiting and hoping every thing will go OK.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
I've been experimenting with those cube shaped "disposable" freezer boxes... like a Tupperware, but cheap. They hold about 2 cups of liquid. If you drill one and wire it into place on the cage, put a small pebble or the like in the bottom for a spacer and then set a second intact box inside the first one, you have a waterer that stays in place fairly well and is easy to change. The ice pops out neatly if you just set it in warm water for a couple of seconds.

I gave the prototype to Patches, my worst flinger of things. :) She does not appreciate changes to her little kingdom, thank you very much! She managed to fling the inner box the first two mornings, but now leaves it in place. If another rabbit started flinging them, I'd use one of those small clamps to keep the two parts together, at least for the first few days.

Apologies for the thread drift... but water for nursing does is extremely important. I'd put in a couple of sources for her until she settles down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts