first litter ever!!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by buckmaster, Nov 30, 2005.

1. buckmaster

buckmaster Lover of Animals

today when i went outside to feed my buns i found the female rabbit that i did not think was pregnant kindled over night. the reason i did not think she was pregnant was, she did not even make a nest and that was what i was waiting for so i could put the nest box in because even when it was in all she did was use it to go to the bathroom. Yesterday evening when i went to check up on my rabbits i noticed that there was blood from the female. i thought she cut herself on something. but it turns out she was pregnant and had 5 babies. i feel so responsible even though i knew that the first time litter of any doe is not too good. this was my first litter ever and the doe's also. hope she takes care of them next time. can't wait till the spring because since i am a student and it is in the winter i can not care and manage/worry about a litter in the winter. i bred my two other does hoping to get their disastrous litter out of the way. they are due around the 10th of December. just wondering how you all's first litter came out and how you all are doing now.
    all for now buckmaster

2. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

Whoa, Buckmaster- you need to put the nest box in before she starts making a nest, preferably 4-5 days ahead of the expected due date.

Hey, I read that back and realized I sounded like a jerk- sorry, didn't mean to.

I recall that I, too, got some bad advice which resulted in our losing our first litter.

Hope you have better results with your next two does. About the nest box- I had a doe which had been bred but I could not confirm that she was pregnant. I put a nest box in but all she did for a few days was make a mess in it. I left it until 5 days past her due date, just in case. In the meantime, I just cleaned it out every couple of days- I figured, better safe than sorry. I have not yet tried palpating my does to check for pregnancy.

3. buckmaster

BearCreekFarm,
    I got my information on when to put the nest box in from my other post that is near the bottom of this forum. i did have it in and because i was in so much doubt if she was pregnant i decided to listen to someone who has been doing this longer and is wiser.
    i have tried to get as much information from the library, books that i purchsed, and information from the internet. now i know that if i see any blood to watch her better and check her more thoroughly. thank you for that tip. all for now buckmaster

4. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Buck, we all make mistakes, and it takes a long time to gain practical experience. Hang in there.

I've noticed that when does are pooping & peeing in the nest box, it's because I've put it in the corner of the cage they normally use for this purpose. So, be sure to position the nest box AWAY from the corner used for elimination.

I've had fabulous first time moms, and some not so fabulous. I normally introduce the nest box on day 27 or 28 of the pregnancy. The does normally show interest in it right away, and start messing around with the hay/straw in it, even though they may not kindle for a few days yet. I throw a handful of hay into the cage from time to time. When they start gathering great mouthfuls of hay and putting it in the nest box, and start digging & scratching around in the nest box, you know kindling time is near.

Good Luck with the other does!

NeHi Mama

5. awfulestes

awfulestes Well-Known Member

Our first litter is 3 days old. She had 8 or 9 and so far lost 3. It is her first time too. I also didn't think she was going to have any because she didn't look any fatter. LOL . I for some reason thought she would waddle, hold her back all the time , and need help sitting down. Thank goodness i put the crib in before she had them. Wish me luck on the 4 or 5 that are left.

6. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Wishing you and the mama good luck with the surviving kits, Awful!

NeHi Mama

7. buckmaster

awfulestes, wishing you luck and hope all goes well and easier.

8. buckmaster

this morning when i went out to feed and check up on her and the others, she decided to pull hair to make a nest. at least she knows what is suppose to be done. the problem is the sequences of events. i have another question... she pulled her hair but actully did not try to make a nest. she left it laying on the floor of the cage. is that what they usually do and then build a nest or do they build as they pull.

9. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I sure hope that things go better for you buckmaster, and afulestes I hope that what babies you have left do just fine.

10. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

I feel for you...my very first litter was a disaster! I used a cat carrier for a nestbox, urine pooled in the bottom, and my kits were burned from the ammonia. Then, when the kits were several days old, they overheated, and I lost the whole litter. Sigh. You're not the only one.

Doe rabbits are pregnant for about 31 (up to 34 days) days, so most folks recommend putting in the nestbox when she's 28 days along. Personally, we do several inches of aspen or pine shavings in the box topped off with lots of dried grass clipping "hay" (very soft) or hay or straw. After the doe has delivered, you can distract her with a treat and inspect the box, pulling out any dead kits or birth tissue. Then, I like to check the box every day for the first week or so to make sure there aren't any dead kits polluting the box. Helps make the kits tamer too. :)

Better luck next time!

11. awfulestes

awfulestes Well-Known Member

Well buckmaster and everyone thank you and I'm sorry to say the kits didn't make it. It looked flat in the nest box so I think she squished them. She tried her best.