First Katahdin Lamb

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by sunflower-n-ks, Jan 20, 2007.

1. sunflower-n-ks

sunflower-n-ks Well-Known Member Supporter

After several nearly sleepless nights checking on the ewe and with visions of lambsickles driving me out into the cold nights to do the checking, the first lamb arrived around noon on Wed. She is beautifull! All white and healthy and doing great. The ewe is such a good mom.

There are three more ewes due to lamb between now and the end of the month. With more storms predicted to move through my area, there will be more sleepless nights to come.

Also my first experience holding a lamb on my lap for hours trying to get her dry enough to handle the cold. Yep, she is already spoiled. A hair dryer is on the shopping list.

I like my Katahdins.....

2. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

Sunflower ~ Congratulations...! Now we need pics that will cheer us when the snow is on us...Good luck with the rest of the girls...GrannieD

3. horsehelper

horsehelper Well-Known Member

Congratulations! We have had our first Katahdin lambs this year too. First ewe had twin girls with no mothering instinct at all. She gets one more try. One died, and the other one made it, though barely, as they were very chilled by the time we found them. She didn't even clean them up. The other two ewes both had single girls which are doing wonderfully. We have one white with a little tan, one red and white, and one black and white. The second two ewes are fantastic moms, and the lambs are doing great. I've raised goats for years, and the sheep were my DH's idea ... I like them, but find them not nearly as friendly as my goats. Am hoping the lambs turn out better towards people. I guess time will tell. I make a point of handling them as much as possible. It's kind of tough when their moms are so skittish. Good luck with your upcoming ewes.