First Experience with Rabbits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by mygrayfarm, Jun 12, 2005.

1. mygrayfarm

mygrayfarm Well-Known Member

Hi, folks!

I'll be getting two French Angora rabbits next week. I won't be breeding them - I will be using their fiber to blend with my alpaca fiber.

They're lovely rabbits and have been very well taken care of. However, this will be my first experience caring for rabbits. I've read the Storey book from cover to cover and looked at everyting I could find on the Internet, but I figured the best source of information was folks who have rabbits.

Is there anything you learned that was not in a book? Anything I should watch out for? Any helpful information or tips that would make things better for the rabbits once they get here? Any information is appreciated!

Cheers!

2. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Well, I don't have Storey's rabbit book, but I do have French Angoras.

If these are just for fiber pets, and won't be bred, I strongly suggest having them neutered.

Make sure you get food from the person you are aquiring them from, and either keep them on it, or change over gradually to what's available in your area. No sudden diet changes.

Have lots of fun with them!

Meg

3. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Yes, have them fixed. You know the expression "they breed like rabbits"? Well, it's true. Rabbits have an EXTREMELY high sex drive. A wild rabbit's (buck OR doe) main goal in life is to have as many babies as is possible before it's eaten. Rabbits who are not able to fullfill their life goal are very frustrated. Spaying or neutering elimanates this desire, and the bunnies are quite content without any kits.

If the cages aren't wire and have a solid bottom, use wood stove pellets as bedding. Softwood shavings like cedar and pine are bad for bunny respiratory systems. Any kind of wood stove pellet is good for them, it absorbes urine, controls odor, and is pretty cheap. Also, since your bunnies have wool, these are excellent because they won't get tangled in the wool.

Use water bottles instead of crocks. Flip top water bottles are worth it if you can find them.

Bunnies like to be scratched on their nose ridge

Mats in the wool are easier to tease out with your fingers then with a comb

Mats seem to collect at the bottom of the rump, right above the tail

Plan for more then 2 rabbits :haha: