First experience with "GOING IN..."

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Milk n' Honey, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

I had a doe birth two doelings today. They were born outside in the goat lot and I had to move them into the barn. So, I was trying to get the Mom in the barn and she decided to run from me and go in the opposite direction. My husband wasn't home so I was doing the best I could alone. I couldn't just leave them out there amongst all those big goats. She has a bluish bulging bag coming out until she ran from me and then it disappeared. I got her into the barn and bounded her. I thought I felt something bobbing around in there so I thought I better get a feel for things. So, I gloved up and put just my hand inside to feel around. I did not go past my wrist. I wasn't sure how far down I should go. So, on top I felt a bag of fluid with nothing in it. On the botton, I felt fleshy folds. Everything else seemed like open space in there.....nothing. Several hours later, that fluid bag came out. It was dark and bluish colored and full of fluid. It popped. There was nothing in it. Now, she has what looks like umbilible cord hanging out. Does that mean there is retained placenta? Wasn't the bluish bag the placenta? Always before, the doe would have the cord hanging until the placenta followed and then it was done. This is weird...with the placenta coming out and now the cord hanging there. What are the chances that there was another kid and I just didn't feel down far enough into the uterus? I never had done that before so I wasn't sure about any of it. The kids are so cute BTW. Two little doelings. Boer crosses with 2 teats each. One is mostly brown and the other looks like a Boer with a blonde head instead of red. Thanks for any direction in this matter!! Oh yeah, when should I start the Cocci prevention and can I give it to them straight since they aren't bottle fed?

2. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

sigh....It isn't ideal to do this, but if I were you, I'd scrub up with anibacterial soap, have someone tie the doe into a corner and lay her down, and recheck her. Olive oil is an excellent lubricant, nice and slippery. Trim your nails short, short short, before you scrub up.

The placenta looks like reddish, crumpled up liver and feels like soft, mushy lips or earlobes when you go in. The bluish sac was the amnion, the sac that holds the kids. There is a sac for each kid, but the placenta seems to be held in common- in other words, triplets have just one mass of placenta. Here is the thing: the doe could have another kid in her, but when they're standing, the kid drops back down as far as it can go, more or less. When they're laying down, everythign gets crammed towards the outlet. So, if you're not sure if there's another kid, have her lay down. If you ever have a hard delivery where there's not enough room to maneuver or to shove a kid back, have the doe stand to drop the kids back down into her belly area.

Let us know what happens, please. :)

3. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

better give her a big dose of Penicillin,

just let her do her thing, sounds like she passed the placenta and will have the 7-10 day ickys, but sence you went in (which wasnt nessisary actually) she REALLY needs antibiotics for any infection she may have gotten, also Vitamin B complex wouldnt hurt.

actually all my does had their kids out in the pasture or in the barn with all the other goats, and for the most part i left well enough alone unless there was a reason i had to help and then i put them in a stall

4. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

And no, if you were clean and halfway sanitary about it, she shouldn't get an infection. I've done it more times than I can count. I also don't use gloves...hard enough to tell what's in there without being able to feel anything at all! Now, if you find a kid and it's dead or you can't turn it around easily, don't be afraid to pull it out back legs first. A dead kid is just about impossible to get out headfirst.

I'd do it ASAP, though, if the cervix closes, you will have one heck of a mess on your hands if there is a kid in there (from someone who's unfortunately been there and done that, in the name of non-interference).

5. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Well!! what have you forund out? Is the doe fine? Did you go back in and if so what did you find? Do you have pictures of the does? We need pictures.

6. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

She seems OK. She is an awesome Mom....not the prettiest goat but two cute babies. Nothing is hanging out of her now. I'll continue with the PenG shots and I'll try to get some pictures. They are cute! I'll be doing some things different with this set.....like Cocci prevention for one.

7. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

When I have gone in only to my wrist, I do it in a clean way and don't give antibiotics. if I have gone in elbow deep and really had to tear the doe up to get a kid out, I give antibotics. Also, take regular rectal temps on the doe so you have an idea of what's going on. In a pinch, I use liquid dishsoap as a lube.

Watch the does behavior. If she is up and eating and being a goat, great! If she starts acting droopy, then there may be a problem such as a retained kid. The longer you have goats, the better you will be at reading subtle clues. Enjoy those kids :)

8. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmmm...dont know about you American goaties but us Aussie ones have a before and after bag, a completely normal happening...then the placenta, may take a few hrs..and if the birth was normal there is no reason to think passing the placenta would not occur normally too. Totally unneccessy to "go in" as you can tear the uterus when you dont know what you are feeling for. Glad to hear she is good.