Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a first freshener, an Alpine who is an above average milker.
About 8 days ago I noticed some roughness and creeping crud on her teats. I found out it was goat pox!
What an old fashioned name! A pox on your goat! :p

I don't know where she got it from, unless it was dormant in her system from where I got her 2 years ago???

We had a lot of rain and so the barn was a little worse than usual, but everyone else is fine. I milk her last, and disinfect everything. I don't know if that helps, but...

I found that if I rub a lot of virgin coconut oil all over her teats and udder after milking, it softens up the skin and the scabs and etc. I have been keeping her milk separate although it looks, smells and tastes fine. I am freezing it, I have to find out if it will be okay for soapmaking. She gives almost a 3 quarts to a gallon a day, I'd hate to have to waste all that milk!

So, another new experience.

Blessings, Jill!

·
Nubian dairy goat breeder
4,465 Posts
jillis the best way to deal with this is to keep it dry.
i would not put oil on it because it seals in the bacteria. it is only a matter of time until the udder is infected.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Is this staph?? Sounds just like staph...which shows up more when the weather has been damp.
If its staph, the best thing is for it to be washed down with chlorahexadine and then dried before she is let back outside.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Yeah-- I would be surprised if it was actually goat pox. It's pretty rare - and pretty nasty. I know people sometimes use the term interchangeably with orf (soremouth) but they are actually different things. That being said, I would guess it may be staph, too, not orf or pox (both great names!) The chlorhexidine works WONDERS when our gots get staph breakouts.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems to be following the course of what is goat pox, both what I read in Goat Husbandry, and what I was told by the large dairy goat farmer I know who does my disbuddings...

It is already clearing up, just a few flakes of dried skin left.

I understand what you mean about the oil, susanne, but her teats were like alligator skin. They weren't weeping. Since I started using the VCO almost immediately, only one tiny pustule had "popped" and the rest almost went into a kind of remission. VCO has both anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties and that was what I was thinking when I used it. I made sure the surfaces I rubbed it into were dry. It seemed to make her a lot more comfortable.

The funny thing is, she is the herd queen. She is used to being the FIRST goat in the milkstand. I stay on one side of the gate, and say the name of the goat I want. They pretty much let that goat go first, but with obvious resentment. I have them trained because I don't like to wrestle at the gate. So Chrissy gets out of the way of the goat I name, and then she "helps" that goat through the gate, with a BIG shove or two from behind with her head. So funny! She's going last, but she letting them know she is still boss!

There were no symptoms in her mouth, so I knew it wasn't orf. I am hoping it wasn't staph, but it is disappearing according to the course that goat pox takes, so I am assuming it is not staph. Staph was my first thought, and I didn't know if I should give her an injected antibiotic or not.

I found out how dependent I am on the internet, because my computer took a lightning strike a few weeks ago and today is the first day I am back on!

(And, I add in a miffed tone, NOBODY said, "Where's Jillis? I haven't seen her on the forum lately...anyone heard from her?" No one even wondered if I had been banned! Humpf!)

So if it was staph, would it just clear up on its own? It is almost completely gone now.

Thanks for the info! Jill.

·
Turkey Wrangler
5,193 Posts
Jillis said:
It seems to be following the course of what is goat pox, both what I read in Goat Husbandry, and what I was told by the large dairy goat farmer I know who does my disbuddings...

It is already clearing up, just a few flakes of dried skin left.

I understand what you mean about the oil, susanne, but her teats were like alligator skin. They weren't weeping. Since I started using the VCO almost immediately, only one tiny pustule had "popped" and the rest almost went into a kind of remission. VCO has both anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties and that was what I was thinking when I used it. I made sure the surfaces I rubbed it into were dry. It seemed to make her a lot more comfortable.

The funny thing is, she is the herd queen. She is used to being the FIRST goat in the milkstand. I stay on one side of the gate, and say the name of the goat I want. They pretty much let that goat go first, but with obvious resentment. I have them trained because I don't like to wrestle at the gate. So Chrissy gets out of the way of the goat I name, and then she "helps" that goat through the gate, with a BIG shove or two from behind with her head. So funny! She's going last, but she letting them know she is still boss!

There were no symptoms in her mouth, so I knew it wasn't orf. I am hoping it wasn't staph, but it is disappearing according to the course that goat pox takes, so I am assuming it is not staph. Staph was my first thought, and I didn't know if I should give her an injected antibiotic or not.

I found out how dependent I am on the internet, because my computer took a lightning strike a few weeks ago and today is the first day I am back on!

(And, I add in a miffed tone, NOBODY said, "Where's Jillis? I haven't seen her on the forum lately...anyone heard from her?" No one even wondered if I had been banned! Humpf!)

So if it was staph, would it just clear up on its own? It is almost completely gone now.

Welcome back Jill! I had wondered where you were actually.

·
4,465 Posts
Jillis said:
I

if the condition change that brought it on, yes.
glad to ear it is already clearing up.;)
like emily i think it was staph. with goat pox you will have a very sick goat with fever. this is a disease that is more common in the middle east.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Huh. Does that mean the milk is not good to drink or to use for soap?

I thought staph had to have antibiotics to clear it up?

Please tell me more about what to do or espect! Thank you!

PS Since this morning I noticed a small blister-type pustule on my wrist. I anointed it with VCO and it it almost completely gone already.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
If this was goatpox the USDA's state vet would be at your door :) No goat pox in the USA, thankfully. Just simple staph. Chlorhexiderm which you can buy from jeffers, I get a gallon of it from my vet each year...other than furox it's the only thing I use on my goats. It's drying, yet a weird lotiony effect that doesn't cause chaffing. It kills staph and many other things including parvo and HIV. yet it is safe for udders, and is actually part of a really good udder wash/ teat dip. Dry cow infusions labeled for staff and used as an ointment work well also. Just like in humans most staph is resistant to antibiotics, why staph mastitis is so hard to finally get rid of although you can get rid of symptoms, seems to rear its ugly head eventually again. Vicki

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I had all my does come down with soremouth after a show a couple years ago, and a couple of them only had sores on their udder. I had one doe suffer a staff infection on her face this summer (which has been unusually cold and rainy, like everyone elses, only 10 clear days in the last 90). The soremouth wasn't at all serious, looked a bit like chicken pox, I just let it run its course through the herd, but the staph looked like chemical burns, definitely nasty and painful looking and did require antibiotics to clear up. I didn't treat the soremouth - it just passed on its own, looked like dry scaly patches on teats and udder, which scabbed over after a couple days. Some people treat soremouth with drying agents, but I didn't.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
They say the staph will clear in 2-4 weeks, but like DocM - we've had one that looked SO painful, we didn't wait to see. The clorhexiderm is amazing - gets it dried up and healed in just a couple days.

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Well, I was reading this yesterday, and then this morning one of my girls had a bad sore on her udder. :grump: I had noticed one or two scabs a few days ago, but just sorta thought she had gotten into some brambles and scratched herself. The place I saw today was open and weepy looking. I cleaned it with a disinfectent and put ointment on it, (then scrubbed my hands well!) Later I saw her chewing on the place like crazy, so I am assuming it itches. (wonder if it is contagious?)
Now I am wondering on the staff vs soremouth issue... or could this be something totally different???
Guess I have research to do. :grump:

·
4,465 Posts
this can be different. do you have fire ants at your place?

not matter the cause, i would always keep it dry to prevent secondary infection with staph.
btw. staph only clears up if the bedding is changed regularly and animals kept dry. some goats are more prune to get it, and it looks like animals with a compromised imunesystem are more susceptible to get it.

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
Well, after checking on her this evening, perhaps it isnt staph. Yes, we have fire ants for sure, they can be visious too. This morning it was weeping, open soar, and this evening it is almost healed. closed, not weeping. I treated it with Melagel, and ointment with tea tree oil in it.
DH thinks maybe it is from her kid, he has horns and is butting her real hard wanting to nurse. He is old enough to wean, and should be, but she doesnt seem to care, and I have run out of tricks. Guess I need to make her a bra to keep that area clean and him off her!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts