First deer for 10 yo Son

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Unregisteredabc, Nov 14, 2004.

1. I am a proud MOM!!!!!

My son Paden Chase shot his first deer yesterday 4pm at age 10. A doe with twins with a weight of 125 lb. The twins are 6-7 months old so they should make out okay. We raise goats and I was afraid he wouldnt be able to "kill" because he enjoys the goats so much, but he did and daddy and I are proud of him.'

He also enjoys bass fishing and trout fishing, for anyone who might have connections with Field and Stream or the like ;-) He'll talk your ear off !

2. mizattitude

mizattitude Well-Known Member

I "thought" that was illegal to shoot a deer with babies? No?

3. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Thats great! I still remember my first deer.A little scary back then.(Looking down the gun barrel waiting to pull the trigger, not noing if you really wanted to or not!) ;)

Heres a link to Bill Dance's site he might like.Bill doesn't post in the forum there but you can email questions to him,for him to answer.Your son can post and talk about fishing on the forum there.(Just make sure you put in his signature line what his age is,so no one steps out of line. ;) ) In the forum there is a guide from Florida that post some very good info on catching bass,look for post made by (RangerRob) Theres hundreds of them(A little technical at times but better info than you can get from mags.sometimes.I have a printed stack of his articles from there.Theres a ton of great guys there(4200+ of them!) :D .And it is a family orientated site.Lots of people have kids they let play on there.(i haven't been on there in a while but the christan fishermen there used to set foul language/mean posters straight real quick.(But be warned there is no moderator on hand,it takes the staff a day or so to delete any objectionable material sometimes.
    This is the main page.
    http://www.billdanceoutdoors.com/billdancehome.htm

Click on (fish talk) to enter the forum area.

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

( thats me unregistered abc) logged in now!

Thanks for the website, Insanity! He did freeze up the first time he shot but was lucky she came back ! This time he got 3 shots off. He used a .250 savage on loan from his uncle. And daddy gutted for him this time!

You do have to have a doe tag to shoot does in Maine but it isnt illegal to shoot one with babies....her twins have already been bred actually as evidenced by rub marks caused by breeding. How would you know a doe had babies if you were out hunting and the baby had laid down to rest while mom foraged :confused: ?????

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

The reason the deer season is in the Fall is to give the babies time to get old enough. That way, the death of a doe is just the loss of ONE deer, not three.

If only the bucks were taken, the does would still overpopulate the area because one buck can cover many, many does. It is necessary sometimes to allow the hunting of the does.

6. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I like to take a doe occasionally, but not one with babies. I wouldn't have shot a doe with twins. Just me of course. Congrats to your son! 10 years is pretty young for a first kill. Kudos! :worship:

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

10 years old?Bet he sure was excited.WTG.
    BooBoo

8. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Cool, he killed a mom that probably was trying to guard/save her babies from danger =/

I don't mind hunting, but I wouldn't have shot a doe with twins either, no matter how old they were.

9. mpillow

Apparently you'd rather hit a deer with your car and be maimed and/or die or see a deer die by coyotes or starvation. Doe tags are not given out randomly but determined by population studies....

And perhaps you havent noticed the price of fuel these days...we eat 100% of the meat from our deer as well as what we raise on our tiny farm....so use scientific judgement before emotional judgement....

My son had been target practicing and studying hunting laws etc as part of our homeschooling....he earned his right to hunt...safety and humane killing being at the top of our list in training. Hunting safely and effectively and lawfully is a tradition in our family. Almost a religion.

If you ain't got nothing nice to say...especially to a 10 year old ....shut your mouth.

Happy hunting everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have 2 more doe tags that we can use if need be...........in years past we have used none of our tags for does because a buck presented itself before the last week of the season. We are responsible hunters, gatherers and farmers and impart this to our family.

Come for supper we have deer meat, goat meat, and baby beef....and lots of veggies canned and frozen from our gardens! I can even tell you their names except for the deer! :D

10. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

And this has to do with me saying that I personally wouldn't have shot a doe with twins , how? If you noticed, I wasn't the only one that said that. I have no problem with hunters, but shooting a doe with twins isn't something a lot of them would do. Never said there was anything wrong with hunting.
    Whats it all got to do with hitting a deer with my car or watching them die by coyotes or starvation?

Same thing, what does the price of fuel have to do with me not wanting to shoot a doe with twins? She was probably an easy target trying to protect her babies, and it's somewhat not sporting in my opinion. Notice I said in my opinion. I wouldn't do it myself, just as someone else here said it.

Take your own advice. You brag about a 10 year old killing a deer with twins, and worry that he wouldn't be able to "kill"....expect some people to disagree with you. I'm not sure being willing to kill is something I would be proud of in my children, but we all raise our children differently.

By the way, I was speaking to you, not to the 10 year old. If you were showing him the thread so he could see all the praise, I would suggest not doing that, because not everyone will have the same opinion.

11. joan from zone six

joan from zone six Well-Known Member

get a life folks - the lady said the twins were 6 to 7 months old - pretty well able to fend for themselves - not talking bambi here - not the newborns that get chewed up in hay mowers every spring - something that purchasers of hay never seem to consider -
    and how the lady raises her children is really none of your business -

12. mpillow

Ignorance is bliss.....

Perhaps not having to buy meat for our family frees up money to buy fuel...wood and electricity....

Perhaps not hitting a deer lets you live a longer life with full faculties.

Perhaps not feeding coyotes leads to smaller coyote population...and more deer.

Perhaps killing and eating a deer that will starve in a winter with lots of snow and cold weather is humane....

Perhaps you make more than $30,000 a year and don't pay $10,000 for health insurance and have 3 mouths to feed (children)

Perhaps the deer have eaten half of your garden that you planted to feed the family....

Perhaps you have not walked a mile in my shoes...........

Perhaps my husband is the happiest man in the world to have a son to share his passion for hunting with......and a wife that will defend the family and their beliefs and practices to the VERY end.

Our family will enjoy its hormone free and free range meat. Thank you very much!

My husband says to kiss his @$$ but I'd have to kill you first!

Eat crow if you have to.

13. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Well, the kid gets a big "heck yeah" ;) from me. Congrats!

I would have shot her. By this time of year the twins are definetly old enough to take care of themselves and survive on their own. They are probably not much smaller than her so it isn't like they are on the teat or need her anymore. Here the only thing you can't kill is a fawn that still has it's spots, I dunno how one would manage that anyway because there is no season that time of year. The kid is helping to fill the family freezer, ain't a thing wrong with that in my book.

Btw, Shygal, she was probably an easy target not because she was guarding her "babies" but because does are not that skittish and secondly the rut is in, they don't care about anything except getting bred.

14. mpillow

My 10 yo son took his first deer legally, ethically and effectivly with his father and grandfather by his side. He shot well and studied game laws. He has loved animals at home and in the wild all his life. At 2yo he thought fast food was deer and rabbit. He has contributed to deer population control and our family freezer.

The Vermont deer herd is inferior to the Maine herd because of poor management. We even have friends from VT who are quite famous who come to Maine to hunt. Nothing personal good managment is good management.

Thanks for all the informed positive comments!

Did you know that most deer in Maine have single births due to winter extremities? This gal had twins because she was in a fertile valley. The twins were weaned since late August.....we have watched them eating clover and apples under apple trees night after night......

How many apple pies did they eat?

Tooo many now they are mincemeat.

Have a son and try to deny him hunting.............I dont think so!

:haha:

15. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

*SOMETHING* has to thin the deer herd, or they will consume all of the available forage and then starve in the winter.

Sometimes the does MUST be killed to control the population, and EVERY doe will have a baby or two.

There is no pleasant way to control the deer population that I know of. We can either re-introduce the large (and dangerous) predators, or we can thin the herds ourselves. If we don't, the deer will overpopulate and die a slow, cruel, lingering death. The choice is between having a FEW deer die a quick death, and having MOST of the deer die by inches

I don't hunt, but I see the necessity of it.

16. sheeplady

sheeplady Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I have to give my 2 cents worth. So you are proud your 10 year old son got his first deer, a doe no less, with twins at her side. Probably she was moving a bit slower as she had them to watch out for, so an advantage for your son. The fact that you are concerned that there would be less apple pies for you if they had lived is strange rationing to me. :rolleyes:
    I don't go along with the theories that every deer not shot ends up starving or as road kills. Or chewed up by hay mowers.
    My husband is a hunter as was his Dad and Grandfather, and none has ever felt so compelled and desperate to kill a deer that they would shoot a doe with twins at her side. It might take a bit more time in the woods, but they always got a deer regardless. Somehow they never felt it sportsmanlike to resort to that.
    And in all the years we have cut hay, we have never chewed up any fawns with a mower.Don't put assumptions like that to rationalize what I think is poor judgement for responsible hunting.

17. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

When we first bought and began clearing our land in May/June of this year we saw two TINY spotted fawns. They were so cute. They grew up right here, accustomed to our barking dogs, yelling Nubians and children, etc... Their mother has been very cautious, but they will actually eat while our children are playing loudly just a hundred yards away. Anyway, when we hunt we always watch them and sometimes we see the mom too. They are nearly as big as she is and probably already bred. BTW, we only have 10 acres, so they are easy to spot. They are quite old enough to jump the fences and leave whenever they want. Our dogs stay in their own fenced off area.
    It's amazing how fast they grow up, and like someone said, that's why hunting season is in the fall - to give the fawns a chance!
    We are on the lookout for a buck, so they are safe here... but for the last two days one of the youngsters hasn't been seen... so my husband thinks someone shot her. I expressed surprise that someone would shoot such a small doe... but he thinks it very likely. Either that, or she got run over.
    We process our own deer, and dont waste anything. It saves us a lot of money on our grocery bill, and is just one of the many things we do that allows us to live on one income.
    So, congrats to your son, and it's good to see that he is learning to hunt responsibly. Our son is 12 and has yet to shoot one. Maybe next year. :eek:)
    He hasnt wanted to target practice with anything but a .22 so that's why!
    ARK

18. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

BTW, in my post where I said "such a small doe" = my husband pointed out that she only looked small standing next to her mom - just a few inches shorter, with a smaller more slender body.
    When just one of the twins comes to eat alone, it takes awhile to figure out if it is youngster or mama.

19. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

First, congratulations to your son! Sounds like he got a nice deer AND got someone else to dress it for him! Way to go!

Some of you disagreed with taking a reproducing doe, but that is EXACTLY the deer that must be shot to manage an overexpanding herd. The kind of deer hunting most of us were raised with- bucks only, ever- has been replaced with such an enormous deer herd that some states are drawing for buck tags, or requiring hunters to shoot a doe before they can get a buck. In my area, I can take up to five does, but am only allowed 1 buck.

I also have to comment to the folks who seem to be a little behind on their doe/fawn info. Infertile does are very rare- those of you who shot does "without fawns" almost certainly shot does in estrus who had driven off their fawns. A doe in the fall is not Bambi's mama- she's dumpin' the kids to "get some", and because her teenaged boy is puttin' the moves on her.

20. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Now that we all are happly I will toss my position in the "discussion". I hunt and I eat what I kill. I would have shot one of the twins. It would have been a better animal to eat. The old doe has already shown she can produce twins and hopefully she would do that again next year. If I were to gift a beef from my herd would you choose to eat the bull or one of the aged cows? I doubt it. Typically, a yearling would be the choice for the table. Additionally, when it comes to animals I am more concerned about the quality of life than the duration. Seemingly, to me anyway, any of these deer mentioned above have have a decent quality of life and one of them has had the duration concluded. There is nothing to argue about!