First Cattle Auction

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by mysticokra, Sep 22, 2004.

1. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

My neighbor is taking his calves to the auction tomorrow and invited me along.
    Just so I don't embarrass myself, what should I expect to see?
    Any particular parlance for the event?

Any rites of initiation that I should be aware of?

Thanks.

2. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Well, don't scratch your nose or brush a fly away from your face while the auctioneer's in action, or you might discover you just bid on a whole pen ful! :haha:

Just kidding ... auctions aren't really like that! ;)

Rites of initiation? Oh, you mean riding the goat! Ha! Kidding again ...

Seriously though ... not much protocol ... wear boots. I like to sit up high in the stands 'cause the sawdust makes me sneeze!

Take your driver's license if there's an outside chance you might want to bid on something ... you'll need it to get a number.

Have fun! :)

3. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

The dust doesn't bother me, but if all those ranchers could wait til they went out to smoke, I could last a lot longer. It's the only thing I hate about livestock auctions.
    Try not to bid on anything until after you've watched for quite awhile.
    mary

4. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

I was about 13 and my uncle was into the whole "buy a calf at one yard on Saturday and sell at another one on Monday" kind of business. It was freezing and I was shaking all over the place that day trying "not to move." Well, I was able to make out the word "sold" from the auctioneer as he looked right in my direction. Turns out my uncle bid on it without my knowledge as a joke. I felt like a complete idiot until I found out. :eek: