First Canteloupe..........

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mutti, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

oh,yum...picked my first Ambrosia melon of the season today....and they are huge this year. We had a week with 7" of rain and our garden just flourished after that...and have been getting 1/2 to 1" every week to ten days while other parts of MO are bone dry....the garden is deeply mulched so that could be part of our luck. Best part...no one else in the house likes canteloupes! DEE who needs to go pick the 'maters now

2. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

Lucky you! We finally had rain last night. WooHoo, the weather has broken! It is still warm but that rotten humidity has eased it a little anyway. I am still waiting for my cantalopes. Enjoy yours!

3. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Has anyone grown melons on a trellis? I'm doing that based on a book but still worry that the melons will break off as they get large.

So far my only melon is tennis-ball sized and way green. Got a long way to go! :D

4. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

My melons are on a trellis this year and haven't had any problem with them breaking off. I don't have any that get really huge, but they're probably 7 inches in diameter. Trellising is kind of nice (aside from keeping the vines out of the paths) because it's hard to miss when your melons get ripe and start to slip. If you find them on the ground, they're ripe! :)