First breeding in older goats?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by flannelberry, Mar 30, 2006.

1. flannelberry

flannelberry Pure mischief

Hi there

I am about to inherit two older pygmy girls and I was wondering -can I breed them when they are older even if they've never been bred before?

Thanks.

2. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

The concern with older does that have never been bred is that they have too much fat around the reproductive organs. A nursing mother puts most of her intake into her milk production, whereas an open doe (or cow) stores it as fat.
    If they take, you will really want to be there for the delivery as it could be a difficult one. We've had four year old first calf heifers calve and the calves have been small and the deliveries difficult. The heifers had put on way too much fat on pasture and water. Two of them had also aborted pregnancies prior which screwed them up even more.
    I've had first freshening three year olds. I am bringing in a group with a first freshening three year old (maybe a two year old) and two first freshening three or four year olds. The older does haven't been bred in two to three years either. I plan on being present if at all possible for those deliveries as they could be difficult.

3. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

My now 3 YO doe kidded for her first time last year. Boy, was it hard for her. She went into labor and both kids tried to come at once. The vet advised that I pop the amniotic sacs because there were THREE bubbles sticking out and we needed to know if three kids were coming all at once. Thankfully, when we popped one so did the extra bubble. That brought our count down to two kids, coming at once. Well, I went in and couldn't get anything situated and when we popped the amniotic sacs contractions stopped b/c she was too pooped to continue. Me and my dad went to our vet whose wife tried to pull them (smaller hands) and she couldn't get them to budge so she reccomended a c-section but there were no facilities around... Then as we were talking her husband who was the actuall vet but didn't want to hurt my doe with is big hands reached in and pulled a kid, then went in for the next one. I was holding two kids that were amazingly still alive by thier back feet, oozing everywhere while the vet serched for another. He found none and put in one of those infection fighting boluses. I can't imagine the outcome if I wasn't there. Make sure you are there with them while they kid. Most does will doe fine thier first time, even at an older age. My friend bred her doe for the first time at i think 5 years old, and she popped out twins one after the other within a half hour. She had no trouble whatsoever!

4. flannelberry

flannelberry Pure mischief

Thanks - that's good info. As they are pygmies I think we'll probably just keep them as pets and company for the girls we'll get later to breed. IIRC pygmies don't have the easiest time of birthing anyway, do they?

5. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

I bred my pygmy for the first time last year, when she was 4. She had 2 kids (I made sure I was present at the birth), the first one came head first, no feet. That took a few minutes. Seemed forever, even called the vet. I finally worked him out just fine. The little doe was born about 5 minutes later. Perfect presentation.

How old are your does? Any older than 3 or 4, and I would probably think twice.

6. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Kind of along the same lines........I have a NubianXNigerian Dwarf doe who I will be breeding to a Nigerian Dwarf buck this year. She was 2 this past November. Can I expect the birth to be easier because the buck is smaller than she is? I was hoping so.

7. Madge

Madge Member

Yes, it's much easier on the does when the buck is a smaller breed.The babies will be sort of Kinders won't they?

8. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I think Kinders have a Pygmy buck involved.

9. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Kinders are Pygmy bucks over Nubians does.
    Mini-(fill in the breed) are Nigerian Dwarf bucks over standard sized dairy does.