First Blood

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Big Dave, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Big Dave

Big Dave Well-Known Member

My youngest bagged his first buck this last weekend. As asurprize I wpuld like to have the antlers mounted. I am looking at a European mount. I have seen two methods for removing the flesh.
    1: boil the head high pressure wash it and use peroxide on it to whiten it up
    2: use beetles to eat the flesh off the bone
    Which would be better? Or would you just mount the antlers.

2. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

#1 would be my choice. I have seen many done that way and they really look great. Be careful if you use the powerwasher at the local carwash tho.....somebody might think yer doing yer MIL...... :p

3. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

Boiling can cause you problems, simmer would be better, though beetles are the best way.
    If you want to boil it there are several methods, but you must watch it very very carefully so it doesnt go too long, One minute your fine, next minute you have a mushy skull. Scrape as much meat off as possible, and watch that the antlers dont get into the water. Use a board or something to hold the antlers above the water line. I just ordered SalSoda to try doing a skull with. Basically Ill be bringing the water to a boil, then let it simmer.
    Also whether you use beetles or boil/simmer, remove the brain first..
    Beetles are the best, but takes approx 3 to 5 day if the colony is a good hot one. longer if its a small slow colony.
    You might check into having someone do it for you. Its worth the money to have it done right since its going to be displayed.. Hate to screw it up since its his very first..
    Good luck :)

4. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

If you feel comfortable waiting and have a safe place you can bury it and let nature do the work...

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I have done 2 with the boiling method. Not a problem. I use liquid white shoe polish to make the bone very white. The method I use calls for removing the back of the skull and the lower jaw. I sawed that portion off then used my belt sander to get the area real flat so that it fits the mounting plaque nicely. I just run a self tapping screw in from the backside of the plaque into a boney area to secure the skull to the board. This is a very inexpensive means of displaying the trophy and it looks good.