First batch of deer chili of the season

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by almostthere, Oct 6, 2004.

1. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Dh got his first deer about a week and a half ago. He's quite proud, its his first bow kill, and he was the first one in this area to the check point. She was 120lbs and made 60 lbs of meat. We rec'd 39 lbs in burger and the remainder in steaks and of coarse 2 roasts. We have 2 sausages leftover from last year, so we felt that wasn't important this time around. He wanted something warm for lunch-so tonight I made up a batch of chili from a low carb recipe I found and its actually quite good. Its a bit thick for my taste tho, but he says its fine. I think I will send the whole thing with him tomorrow and tell him to share(it made 6 cups). Next batch isn't gonna be so thick, otherwise he will be sharing at work again.:)

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

I've noticed that you and many other people in other threads call it "deer meat." Are Minnesotans and Wisconsinites (ie, Cheeseheads) the only people who call it "venison?"

3. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Cabin, we call it both venison and deer meat. Depends on who we are talking to. There are a few non hunters we know that don't relate to the word venison! :)

Almostthere, congratulations to your Dh! The thought of venison chili is making my mouth water! I think I'll make some for supper tonight. :D

4. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Its venison sometimes here too. I guess after living with a 3 and 5 yr old and having to explain how things work a hundred million times a day, being descriptive becomes habbit. :)