First Baby!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by chris30523, Apr 21, 2006.

1. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

We had our first kid this afternoon about 3:00.I have been watching and checking but this doe was not the one I thought would go first.She dropped the kid in the pasture and didn't know what to do.My granddaughter said she heard a baby crying so we went to check and found "tinker belle" shivering on the ground.We dried her off and tried to catch mom cause she wouldn't come near she was so scared.We finally got them togeather and things look ok "Tink "is a full blood boer solid red with one white foot and a small white spot on her tummy.She sure is cute.She is awfully weak from getting chilled we did get colostrum down her and I have gotten her to nurse from mom for just a couple of seconds.I hope she makes it.Mom is trying though now that she settled down.Well one down and 11 more to go....

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Keep a close eye on them. If it's going to get chilly there tonight, do you have shelter for them, where the new baby can be out of drafts and on warm bedding rather than the cold ground? Normally they are pretty hardy, but if she's already been a little chilled, it would be a good idea to pamper her a little for a day or so, until you are sure she's all right.

Kathleen

3. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

CONGRATS on the new baby! She sure sounds pretty. Good Luck with her and her mama. Bye.

4. chris30523

We have a stall in the barn just for them.24 hours old and she is trying to nurse I just have to direct her.Mom still has a bloody string of something hanging out should I be worried??

5. chris30523

[IM[​IMG]G]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j280/chris30523/tink3.jpg[/IMG]

6. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

Beautiful doeling and little girl! She sure looks happy about her new playmate. :)