First attempt at grafting pear trees...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ravenlost, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I received three sets of pear tree cuttings (three different kinds of pears) and was expecting trees with roots! So, today I am going to attempt a little grafting. The only established fruit tree I have is a wild pear tree. The poor thing has no idea what it's in for this afternoon.

Any tips?

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I have read that one of the simplest ways to do a graft is as follows.

Take the rootstock and cut it down the outside, just inside the bark on four sides, so that you can kind of peel it like a banana, about an inch down. Then cut out the middle. Then do the first part to the scion you are grafting to the rootstock, but remove the bark, rather than the wood inside. Then you can put them together, bringing the bark from the rootstock up where the bark used to be on the scion. I hope I explained that right...

3. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

I'm going to be grafting some apple scions onto rootstock in a couple weeks. Been reading up and practicing grafting technique. Got the scions, still waiting for the rootstock.

The Grafting Handbook is a good place to start, and the net has a lot of grafting sites. But if you did it today, a little too late for that. Let us know how it turned out, and how you grafted them.

4. Ravenlost

Didn't get to it yesterday. Will do it today. I hope! I did a little internet research and southerngurl, your way seems the best of any I found!

5. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

In my research I've never heard of the graft described above. I would think it would result in a weak graft since the only thing holding the scion is the thin bark of the rootstock, if I understand the method. Maybe you should do a little more research. Do a search on "chip budding" -- it's a easy method of grafting.

6. southerngurl

I found it. It's called a four flap graft.

Here are some better instructions, sorry it's PDF, but there are drawings!

7. Ravenlost

8. southerngurl

9. Ravenlost

Sorry, I didn't have my invisible glasses on. Thanks for the visible links!

10. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

We had a pecan tree grafted several years ago. A friend of ours worked for the Forest Service (retired) and did it for us. He wrapped the grafts with aluminum foil. They took well.