First Annual Christmas Fudge Contest!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by bare, Dec 9, 2006.

1. bare

bare Head Muderator

I know everyone is super proud of their heirloom fudge recipes, so here's your opportunity to really shine and show off your talent!

Here's how it works: When you get ready to make your best fudge recipe, plan for enough for an extra pound. PM me for the address to contest headquarters. Pack your shipment carefully in a Priority Mail box and send it off for judging.

Contestants may enter as many samples as they wish and should feel free to send larger samples for extra consideration.

All entries must be postmarked no later than December 25, though late entries will be accepted too.

The judging process will be an on going process depending on volume of entries received. Entries will be judged for speed, presentation, flavor and anything else our judge cares to judge on.

Winning entries will be publicly announced right here on Countryside Family Forum, no later than January first!

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Nice try, Bare! LOL

3. woodsmokeinherhair

woodsmokeinherhair it's bout quality of life

hehe! Well, I just made my third batch. It was a double batch, half with nuts, half without. Unfortunately ..... it's disappearing fast! lol ...... awwwww, too bad! I think I could have won! te he!

Woodsmokeinherhair!

4. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

OMG I'm sorry to admit that I thought this was a legit contest. :doh:

5. bare

bare Head Muderator

This IS a legitimate contest!

6. roadless

oh come on ......fool me once shame on you....fool me twice shame on me...but just in case .....I'll sign on to be another judge!

7. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

roadless, you don't know bare very well yet. LOL!!! You had no clue. Keep an eye out for his posts and you'll get to know him. He can be a lot of fun. :p

8. roadless

Fla Gal, thanks for the heads up..some days I need all the help I can get! :) bare :nono:

9. Fla Gal

roadless, I understand and you're welcome.

Hey bare, how 'bout sharing a good peanut butter fudge recipe (soft type fudge) with us? If it's close to the recipe I lost and have been looking for for years, I might be persuaded to submit a batch to the contest. :p

10. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

I don't know what recipe you are looking for FLa Gal...but I have one around here somewhere...I will try to look for it tomorrow afternoon! It is made from peanut butter, powdered sugar, and butter...and I don't remember what else...super easy! It is not quite as hard as chocolate fudge...but not reeeeal squishy either...in between.

Bare.....'tis a shame you were found out :p .....maybe someone will have pity on you and send you some! OR...get a recipe off the back of the marshmallow creme jar...it is super easy to make! It was one of the first things that my daughter learned to cook! Give a man a fish and he will go hungry eventually...teach a man to fish and well....he will have fish!...or fudge! :angel:

11. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

MICROWAVE PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE

The ease of microwaving and the goodness of peanut butter make this fudge a sure winner.

Email Recipe Add to Recipe Box Print

Preparation time: 15 min Microwaving time: 3 min Chilling time: 1 hrs
    Yield: 3 dozen pieces

2/3 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter
    2/3 cup chunky-style peanut butter
    6 cups powdered sugar
    1/3 cup milk
    1 tablespoon vanilla

Place butter and peanut butter in large bowl. Microwave on HIGH until butter melts (1 1/2 to 2 minutes); stir until well mixed. Stir in all remaining ingredients until lumps of sugar disappear. Microwave on HIGH until softened but not bubbly (1 to 1 1/2 minutes); stir.

Pour into buttered 8-inch square baking pan. Cover; refrigerate until firm (at least 1 hour). Cut into squares. Store refrigerated.

Ingredient Substitution Index

Nutrition Facts (1 piece): Calories: 120, Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 10mg, Sodium: 60mg, Carbohydrates: 18g, Dietary Fiber: <1g, Protein: 1g

0332 © 1995 Land O'Lakes, Inc.
    If this isn't THEE fudge recipe that I use...it is very close! If you don't want it quite as firm...don't add as much powdered sugar.

12. Fla Gal

Nan,

It's been over 35 years ago that I made that fudge. I don't recall if it needed to be refrigerated as it disappeared so fast. It was soft, softer than chocolate fudge and I don't recall the ingredients other than peanut butter, sugar and maybe milk. :shrug:

About 9 years ago I tried a recipe out of the Fannie Farmer cookbook but it was more like a candy. I made this for someone else, not myself, but of course I had to try it. It was ok but not the soft fudge that tastes more like peanut butter rather than sugar.

I quit eating sugar many years ago and that's why I haven't gone on an extensive search for any recipe containing sugar. But alas... every now and then I get the urge for peanut butter fudge made the old fashioned way. It's so yummy.

That microwave recipe sounds quick and easy but I don't use a microwave. The recipe I'm looking for was made on the stove top, put in a pan and cooled.

Every now an then I'll eat a Reese's peanut butter cup to satisfy the need but I wouldn't mind having that peanut butter fudge from time to time.

13. Cyngbaeld

Fla Gal, I'll try to find the exact amts of the ingredients for you. Have it here somewhere. I love the stuff and have to stop myself from making it very often. It is just basically evap milk with sugar and boil till it starts to stick to the pan then add the pb a dab of butter and some vanilla and pour into the buttered dish to cool.

14. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Have you tried no bake cookies...with peanut butter, oatmeal, milk, sugar etc....they are soft and soooo yummy! I bet that if you made those without the oatmeal..it would be a LOT like fudge!

15. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

Cyngbaeld...that sounds dangerously good! LOL! PLEASE post your recipe! YUMMY!

16. Fla Gal

Cyng, yes please share! I'd love to have the recipe. You jogged my memory. I made the fudge with fresh whole cows milk but I cook with evaporated milk now.

Nan, I used to mix peanut butter with sugar and eat it straight or make a sandwich of it. Would you share the no bake recipe?

Sounds like bare might get his contest off to a flying start... if there's enough left to send to him. :p

17. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I make variations of this with dark chips & 15 drops peppermint oil, white chips & 1/4 tsp black walnut flavoring or white chocolate chips with finely crushed candy canes. All are excellent & embarrassingly easy. :D

Absurdly Easy Peanut Butter Fudge
    (makes 16 2-in. squares)
    16 oz. peanut butter chips -which is a bit more than 1 bag
    4 Tbs. butter
    14 fl. oz. sweetened condensed milk

combine all ingredients,
    melt either in microwave on defrost or in a double boiler
    mix well to combine
    pour into a greased sheet or 8 x 8 pan
    sit in a cool place or chill to set
    cut in 2" squares

18. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

No-Bake Peanut Oatmeal Drops
    by Rachel Keller

Try this easy and delicious no-bake cookie recipe!

This recipe makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup butter

1/3 cup evaporated milk

1 cup peanut butter

1/2 tsp. vanilla

1 cup rolled oats

1/2 cup peanuts

Bring the sugar, butter, and milk to a rolling boil. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in the the peanut butter, vanilla, rolled oats, and peanuts. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper. Let stand until set.

We use regular milk in our recipe....but I found this one with evaporated milk in it...since that is what you use! It is otherwise the same recipe that we use!

19. Cyngbaeld

OK, here it is:
    14 oz can of evaporated milk
    2 1/2 cup sugar
    boil to soft ball stage or till it wants to stick to the pan. After the sugar is dissolved only stir occasionally until it starts frothing up in the pan, that means it is close to ready.

Remove from heat and add 1/2 stick butter, a generous cup of peanut butter and a tsp of vanilla. Beat it till it starts to lose its gloss then pour quickly into a buttered dish and cut into squares. Use a whip to hold off the hungry hoards till you get your share. LOL

20. bare

bare Head Muderator

Wait a minute! This is a contest site, not a recipe site. Unless that is, it inspires you. I mean how can you know for sure if your's is the best recipe until you have an independent judge? I'm independent as all get out.

I make a pretty mean fudge myself, but in the interests of fairness, I won't judge yours against mine.

Get those samples boxed up people!