first aid for cat -- infected wound

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Doc, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member Supporter

I noticed my cat last night not feeling well, but he ate breakfast this morning and went outside. But he rarely moved -- all scrunched in that posture that shows discomfort.

This afternoon, I brought him inside and looked at him. He had a place on his arm that he had been licking -- hair all matted down, but just a little wet. No blood.

He curled up again (behavior that is NOT at all like him since he is usually animated and talking) and I finally had a chance to really inspect his arm. I got out my first aid book and it said to cut away the matted hair. When I did, I found a wound that is oozing. It is infected, and I am now putting warm compresses on it and bathing it in hydrogen peroxide (highly recommended by the author, who is a vet).

Is there anything else I can do until morning? I'm worried that he will get worse during the night. I gave him some diluted chicken broth and he licked some of it, but not all of it. I want to keep him hydrated, of course. I may switch to tuna juice, but I don't want to overload his tummy and make him sick.

Please advise asap. I know that cats can get really sick, really fast. Is there a vet in the house???

thank you.

2. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Since you have a plan to take him to the vet tomorrow, I would cater to his comforts and sense of well being. Keep him hydrated (as you are) and I might consider using a warm tea bag as a poultice, if he'll stand for it. Is he purring? Cats that are working on healing tend to purr and rest. I do think that he'll be fine till morning, just keep an eye on him. On behalf of your cat, thanks for being a responsible pet owner :worship:

3. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

i would take the oozing as a good sign that the wound is draining. when my cat used to tangle with racoons his wounds had little blood and would ooze. as long as it would drain the wound could start to heal from the inside out. taking him to the vet is a good idea. an antibiotic is very important for him. for tonight i would clean out the would several times and let it drain. i am sure he will be back to his usual self in a few days.

4. Doc

Thank you for the prompt replies. He just ate a bit more yogurt (seemed to really want it this time) and that made me feel better, too. I put more H202 on it and he growled. Actually, that may be a good sign too -- at least he is responding!

I have a tendency to hover over them when they are ill, so I have to be careful or he'll bolt and then I can't find him. I'm letting him sleep now while I calm down and try to relax myself.

Thanks for the reassurance. I think that's what I needed to hear most.

5. Soni

Soni Well-Known Member

Contact lense multi-purpose solution (especially the stuff that has enzymatic cleaner built in) is great for animal vetting. You can target the stream effectively, it is sterile and it has just enough enzymatic stuff in it to help kill off germs. Flush well a few times a day, if the animal will let you. If you get the generic 'brand', it's just a few bucks.

6. naturewoman

naturewoman Well-Known Member

Cats purr when they are in pain and when they are happy. Cats often purr when they are dying...not to say that is what is happening here.

The fact that the injury is draining is a good sign. It sounds like an abscess from a bite. It will probably heal on it's own, but some antibiotics from the vet will ensure that it heals quicker.

7. puffdog

puffdog Active Member

Try Listerine mouthwash I have used it on dogs and horses but never a cat sure cleans the wound well and seems to help the wound.

8. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

cats do get into trouble...
    one of my tomcats got his ear torn nearly off... I stitiche dit back on and left it half open to drain, gave him some pennicillin (horse kind, 3cc if its a bad infection, or just 1 cc to keep a bad cut from gettingthat way) and if you got a deep gash, dripping pennicillin right in the wound works excellent....
    he was alomost healed up but no, he had to go fight and rip it all open again. I left it open and speayed it with betdadine every day, and he hats that so he hid from me for months, I didnt see him and I wrote him off and a passed on warrior.
    I found em in the barn sleeping, he is as big a s a pig and his ear is totally healed over.
    it healed without my help the second time around So... sometimes nature knows best.
    he had a bite like yopurs also on his leg it swelled up and he couldnt walk till it popped open and drained...
    and he got more TLC shots and that didnt make him happy at all.

9. Doc

The idea for the contact lens cleaner is interesting. And I have plenty. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last night about 10, I bathed the wound again in H202. Then I offered yogurt which he ate eagerly. Around 10:30, I heard crunch crunch and looked around to see him eating at the bowl. His fever had broken -- I should have known that.

From then on, he was hungry and moving around like his old self. Slept out on the screened porch during the night with a couple of checks from Mother here. This morning he ate his chicken and more catfood and wanted to go outside.

It is raining here -- a great day for recuperation--so he is in despite pleas and begging, and I am able to bathe his leg routinely. I want to make sure it doesn't heal over and prevent that ooze from draining. Then more trouble.

Did I mention honey as a natural antibiotic? Does anyone know of this remedy?

10. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

When I was in middle school, my cat Squizzer used to come home from fights with wounds that would eventually fester. My normal routine was to lock us in the bath room so he couldn't get away and squeeze the puss out. I would put betadine in the wound.

One time, I squeezed and squeezed on a lump on his tail and a cat nail popped out.

He was so used to me doing this that he eventually stopped growling and getting mad when I did it. He must have figured it was going to happen as long as he kept fighting.

11. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

Is kitty up to date on his tetnus and rabies shots? :confused:

12. Doc

Betadine -- I had forgotten about betadine.

Update: After bathing the wound in H202, I decided to spread a miniscule amount of honey on it -- and I think it worked. No more oozing. No swelling and best of all, he is back to normal -- meowing for fresh salmon as I write this. I'm still watching it, but so far, so good.

thank you all.