Firewood

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Oct 9, 2004.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Does anyone cut wood with the idea of selling it for firewood?
    What does a cord of wood go for in your area, and type of wood available?

2. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

Alot of folks in my area cut a pickup load of hardwood split it. They take enough to last overnight in a fireplace and wrap it in plastic then set by the side of the road in the richer neighborhoods and sell it for 20 dollars to folks who want that xmas flame lol. I had a fellow I know make enough to buy a new pickup in one year. He said several would stop by daily during the week of xmas and buy one to two packs a day. So they could have bought a whole truck load for what they paid for to use in a few short days. His bundles would be about as much as the average man could cradle in his arms.

3. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

dh sold about 10 pickup truck loads last year. Sold them for $100 each, it was split. Came from our fir, alder tree's. We keep the cedar wood for ourselves. :D

Deb

4. OD

OD Well-Known Member

A cord of split oak brings $125 here. More if it's delivered & stacked.

5. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

In 2001, we paid $185 per cord for oak, split, delivered and stacked in Dallas.

Here in the Hot Springs area, there is a lot of wood, and I see a cord for $85-$100 delivered and stacked.

No telling what those fools in the cities of Texas are paying this year. If you are close to a large city, might be worth the travel.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Last time I bought cordwood it was 165/cord for pinyon, split and delivered. I had to stack it. I think it is higher now. That was in NW colorado. The fellow I bought it from said he made the most by selling the plastic wrapped bundles for the ski tourists up in Steamboat. He sold it to stores that resold it. Don't know what the markup was.

7. Lancelotacres

Lancelotacres Well-Known Member

Around here (Southwest Michigan), a cord goes for $100. Hardwood, mostly oak. That is with you picking it up.

People are making a lot of money selling the little bundles of firewood around here too. It's now illegal to carry any firewood over county lines (if you are caught, they confiscate the wood and give warning, next time you get a ticket, and they could confiscate your camper, car, etc), so if you are going camping, you have to purchase your firewood at your destination, rather than bringing it with you from home (unless you are camping in the same county). (This is the state's way of trying to stop the spread of the Emerald Ash borer (sp?)).

Somebody could make a lot of money if they were located next to a campground, especially with fishing and hunting season here.

Lisa

8. mtmama

mtmama Well-Known Member

fire wood here is going for $80-90 a cord for fir, and $100 for larch. it is split in half, quartered if large rounds, and dumped off the truck in your yard. We used to cut and sell wood, but it got to be a real hassle, so now we only cut what we need.

9. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

If I haul it $28 a Cord,$75 if I don't. Mostly Oak.Almost too cheap to cut it yourself. :haha:

big rockpile

10. timberweed

timberweed Active Member

Last time (over the summer) I saw an add for firewood, cut split and delivered it was $170 here in northen NH. That would be all hardwood (maple, oak, cherry, etc.). I've heard its gone up with the price of oil.

11. bare

bare Head Muderator

Wow, comparing prices, I just want to make sure we are all on the same cord. 4'x4'x8'? I've had folks back a Toyota pickup up my driveway and drop off a load expecting to get paid for a cord of wood. When I tell them I'll pay them when it's all here they got miffed. Said it was a cord.

Here in N. Idaho, I'll pay 85 to a 100 for a split cord of red fir, larch or birch. I consider it a steal at that, 'cause I've certainly sold my share of wood over the years and know what it takes to get it: A decent pickup or truck, insurance for said truck, repairs on said truck when I break the springs, or flatten all four tires, or drop a tree through the cab, chainsaw, gas, oil, bar, chains, spare chainsaw, cables, chains, jacks, falling wedges, splitting wedges, axes, mauls, files, and a dangfineback with insurance for said dangfineback when it ain't fine no more.

12. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

so a cord is an f250 bed full??
    I'm confused...I've never sold, or bought firewood before, something I would need to know should I use wood heat in the winter.
    Thanks!

13. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

A standard cord is 4'x4'x8' of wood, a 'face cord' is 4'highx8'xlongx whatever length the piece of wood is (16", 24", etc.)

14. Steve in Ohio

Steve in Ohio Well-Known Member

We sell between 15-20 cords every year.Most of it is Cherry with some Elm.Prices vary the closer to the larger population the price is higher especially if I deliver.In our case the target market is the Columbus area suburbs,in fact we have a truck load going that way later this afternoon............which prices out at 85.00 for a split load of all Cherry in full size truck bed even with the top of the bed.For the customers that pick it up here it's 60.00 for the same load.
    We have one guy that comes every so often,even in the summer.........for a load of wood that he burns in one of those outdoor clay chimeny deals.This guy burns this thing all weekend when he is home,because he likes the smell of wood smoke......................I just love these customers.........................

15. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Nope.

A cord is 4x8x4 foot stacked pile. Anything else is a rip off. If you are buying, you'll be ripped off. If you are selling, you'll be the bad person. :) It's a rare pickup that can hold a full cord of firewood - with a 8' box, 4.5' wide, you need better than 3' high in the box, squared off, and neatly stacked not a lot of air gaps in the bed. Not a 'box full' - level full.

Basicly wood selling is about as honest as used car selling or horse trading.....

--->Paul

16. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

Nope the $100 for a pickup load is just that...a pickup load. Last year I had posted the same question about "Is a pickup load equal a cord of wood?". Dh works 1 1/2 hrs. away from home and he sold to his coworkers. Usually the wood was exchanged in the parking lot from one pick up truck to another pick up truck. As long as they know they are getting it by the pickup truck load, I don't see a problem selling it that way. I looked in the paper last night and a actual cord of wood is selling anywhere from $145-185.

Deb

17. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

so let me ask you this, how much is a pickup load of wood worth then?

18. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

The best way I know of to tell you is to shop around in your area, because while I have a Chevy HD 2500 long bed with no toolbox and I may sell you a "pickup truck load" for $120, my neighbor may have a shortbed Chevy HD with a tool box and he may want $100 a "pickup load", and his neighbor may bring you a toyota truck loaded for $80...

So you see it is better to buy by the cord so you know exactly what you are getting, but if you can't get wood that way, then scan your local thrifty nickel or local newpaper to see what pickup loads are selling for. Just be sure you are comparing apples to apples; i.e. same size bed, same type of wood (oak, hickory, what have you) and whether wood is dried or green. Green wood won't burn readily so is really worthless unless you can stack it up for the next winter.

Compare prices and get an average in your area - down here in GA, south of Atlanta, a pickup truck, long bed, split white or red oak, is $100 to $120. Near Atlanta, it runs closer to $150. That's delivered but not stacked.

Sidepasser

19. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Good seasoned ash or oak; or green pine? And are you located in a cabin area, city area, lots of demand, no demand? How big is the pickup & how deep is it piled?

Is it legal to sell wood this way in your location? (Yes, some states & counties have regulated this & wood can only be sold by the actual cord...)

The answer is, it all depends on local market conditions, and what your product is. Seems $80 - 160 is a good range for a cord of wood. Figure out how much your pickup holds, and are you offering good wood in a good market, poor wood in a poor market, or something in between. Go from there.

20. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

A Full Size Pickup Bed,will hold about 1/2 Cord,level with top of Bed,Throwed on.

big rockpile