Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Im glad you posted this. I've had a few questions about getting into firewood processing for a while.
I've been given the opportunity to clear a small woods. The woods has a few types of trees in it, but I'm concerned about the large number of dead Ash Trees in it. I was wondering if the Ash Borer decreased the value of the hardwood as firewood. And since the market is so saturated with the dead Ash Trees, could you advise me on how to create or find a market for my product? Should I just store my product until it's worth more?
I live in eastern Indiana; Where the majority of Ash Trees are dead; Which is why the market is intimidating.

·
Registered
677 Posts
It is nice to put your general location so people easily know what part of country you live. People can give better answers. Hard to sell a lot of fire wood in the deep south. I am not in the business but standing dead trees are probably dry and ready for uses this season. If fire wood does not sell lower your price a little or change your marketing. I would not store dry wood waiting for price increase. When you sell some wood get their number and check back now and then for repeat business. You might only need 10 or 20 regular customers. Hopefully the original poster comes back with reply. Good luck

·
Banned
17,215 Posts
Nothing better than ash.
But the ignorant state foresters wind up on TV every fall telling folks that white oak dried three years is the only thing acceptable.
My advice for ash is to sell it as eastern white oak. Most people that know wood well enough to know what it is will be glad to see it.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Around here Firewood can no longer be brought in by Campers so everyone is cutting for sale to them. They are selling Small bundles for a Dollar a Stick.

I can get all my Firewood on Government Lands I just can't sell it. Right now for couple years I cutting around the House.

There is a Big Cutter that just uses Logs runs them through a machine that cuts a Log into Firewood in a couple minutes. They have their Wood inspected and can ship out of state.

big rockpile

Reactions: hunter63

·
Registered
20 Posts
I won't be able to sell diseased firewood out of the county. Don't see what harm would come of it, being in the middle of the affected area.
They sell bundles here at filling stations and supermarkets; about the same price.

·
Registered
677 Posts
When cold out people park on busy street with truck or trailer load of wood ready to deliver when someone buys it. Once you build a customer base you probably will not have to do that. I would want my customers within 20 miles or so not a county away. The original poster does have some good videos on the subject. I would think he could answer all your questions.

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,363 Posts
Nothing better than ash.
But the ignorant state foresters wind up on TV every fall telling folks that white oak dried three years is the only thing acceptable.
My advice for ash is to sell it as eastern white oak. Most people that know wood well enough to know what it is will be glad to see it.
The Emerald Ash Borer, inadvertently imported from China, has killed many millions of Ash trees. The spread of this invasive pest has been enhanced by folks ignoring the transportation ban on Ash products, mostly firewood. After being dead for three years, the insect has hatched and is gone. Only after the likelihood of spreading this pest has past is it acceptable to transport Ash to uninfected areas.

The mental rush some folks feel in going against any government restriction pales by the billions of dollars lost through the spread of insect pests.

·
Banned
17,215 Posts
HayPoint why was that directed at me ?
I don't Have a problem with the transport regulations.
Since I'm a fan of ash I think anything we can do to help save them is worthwhile.
I have a problem with ignorant college educated mavins spouting nonsence.
Most fireplace owners would probably be better off with cottonwood than oak !

·
Banned
17,215 Posts
Your advice is to lie about what you're selling.

But lies are ok.
Nope eastern white oak is a trade name. It's used extensively around here for hardwoods other that white oak.
When a person should be reliable and uses the truth to spreads lies via the media that is the worst kind of lie.
Surely you are familiar with the art of deception via the truth ?

·
In memoriam
79,017 Posts
Nope eastern white oak is a trade name. It's used extensively around here for hardwoods other that white oak.
It's still a lie, no matter how "extensively" it's repeated.

When a person should be reliable and uses the truth to spreads lies via the media that is the worst kind of lie.
A liar is a liar no matter how they go about it.

Surely you are familiar with the art of deception via the truth ?
That has nothing to do with this context.

·
Unpaid, Volunteer Devil's Advocate
18,363 Posts
Emerald Ash borer started to spread from near Detroit, over 15 years ago. Took a few years to find out what was killing the Ash trees. Ash is such a great firewood, all the city folks hauled it to campgrounds around the state, infecting campgrounds and spreading from there.

Canadian government sought to halt the spread by cutting a swath several miles wide across the peninsula. But people transported infected wood beyond the clear zone.

In Michigan, people were not allowed to haul any firewood into the Upper Peninsula. The state provided drop off enclosures for the wood, on both sides of the Mackinac Bridge. Inspection stations were manned around the clock. But enough people weren't going to let the government tell them what to do, so the Upper Peninsula has lost millions of Ash trees.

Often when someone starts off with how stupid the government employee (Forrester)is, it brings to mind those that violate quarantines.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Im glad you posted this. I've had a few questions about getting into firewood processing for a while.
I've been given the opportunity to clear a small woods. The woods has a few types of trees in it, but I'm concerned about the large number of dead Ash Trees in it. I was wondering if the Ash Borer decreased the value of the hardwood as firewood. And since the market is so saturated with the dead Ash Trees, could you advise me on how to create or find a market for my product? Should I just store my product until it's worth more?
I live in eastern Indiana; Where the majority of Ash Trees are dead; Which is why the market is intimidating.
Make your own boards, it'll help sell quicker. Did it with cedar and that stuff was gone!
Nothing better than ash.
So now your encouraging the breaking of laws and deception? Your a walking talking contradiction. Lie about the wood and spread the diseased crap, intelligent.

·
Banned
17,215 Posts
You are right I'd forgotten about the danger of people transporting firewood long distances.
In my experiance selling firewood I delt with the other extreme so much it hadn't occurred to me people might move it after their dealer had stacked it for them.

But this is another example of the so called experts causing a problem.
They have spent so many years spreading the lie that white oak is the best firewood and thus the only wood that people should buy that the industry has countered with strategies that could cause a problem in the days of the emerald ash borer.
But I suppose that's why all the rules and signs prohibit moving FIREWOOD not just ash wood.
Weirder still the evidence seems to point to EAB originally entering in lumber and the movement of lumber isn't prohibited.
I once had a nice load of hickory sticks (1x1 and 1x2 type scraps) in my pickup to take to Alaska for fish smoking.
The Canadian Border had already released me when the customs guy asked what I was going to do with all the little sticks of lumber.
He truly seemed sorry when I told him and he then had to confiscate it since it was no longer lumber but firewood.
Funny how things work out.

·
Banned
17,215 Posts
So now your encouraging the breaking of laws and deception? Your a walking talking contradiction. Lie about the wood and spread the diseased crap, intelligent.
Yes I often encourage breaking laws and deception.
How is that a contradiction ?
Sometimes it's the only way to deal with a overreaching deceptive government.

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
I have to laugh at the inspection point on both sides of the Mackinaw bridge manned around the clock comment.
What year was that they were doing it? All the ash at my UP deer camp is dead and peeling the bark off showed the tell tale tracks the EAB made. I have been deer hunting an d fishing in the UP since back in the 1970's and cross the Big Mac never ever saw any inspectors nor was I ever asked by any one if I had fire wood in the truck.
Just crossed the bridge again in May going north and again no inspectors or questions about carrying fire wood.

I am going on my 7th year of cutting dead ash for my home heat. As long as it is still standing it is pretty solid wood to split and burn and gives off a lot of heat. I make it a point to cut up any that comes down in storms as quickly as I can.
Around here Ash fire wood sells from 45 to 60 a face cord 4'x8'x18" and is normally stacked up near the road with a sign, on Craig's list, local new paper ad and signs on bill boards in restaurants farm stores and other business that have a bill board.
Storms blew down part of the top of this tree 4 years ago, another part 2 years ago and I cut this down in February.

:D Al

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
I have to laugh at the inspection point on both sides of the Mackinaw bridge manned around the clock comment.
What year was that they were doing it? All the ash at my UP deer camp is dead and peeling the bark off showed the tell tale tracks the EAB made. I have been deer hunting an d fishing in the UP since back in the 1970's and cross the Big Mac never ever saw any inspectors nor was I ever asked by any one if I had fire wood in the truck.
Just crossed the bridge again in May going north and again no inspectors or questions about carrying fire wood.

I am going on my 7th year of cutting dead ash for my home heat. As long as it is still standing it is pretty solid wood to split and burn and gives off a lot of heat. I make it a point to cut up any that comes down in storms as quickly as I can.
Around here Ash fire wood sells from 45 to 60 a face cord 4'x8'x18" and is normally stacked up near the road with a sign, on Craig's list, local new paper ad and signs on bill boards in restaurants farm stores and other business that have a bill board.
Storms blew down part of the top of this tree 4 years ago, another part 2 years ago and I cut this down in February.

:D Al

1 - 20 of 81 Posts