Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Down at my moms place she has "summer type people" That live near her. Or you could call them "weekenders" These people arent really homesteader types more of a "party" type. Usually younger crowd early 20s or so. My mom heats with wood. We have bout a cord stacked up underneath her overhang, and another cord piled in the yard with a tarp over it. Well i been noticing firewood seems to be missing, and she has mentioned it to me saying she thought wood was missing. Its not alot like a wheelbarrow or 2 at a time. She has dogs but they are usually out in the woods or in the house and dont seem to deter anyone from doing what there doing. Im not completely sure where the wood is going, although on a friday or saturday night you can see at least 2 campfires around her place. What is a good non-leathal approach to stopping this? I dont want to stay up all night guarding a pile of wood. Its not so much that wood is valuble, well i guess it does have value its just princible of the thing. If these people are willing to steal firewood, what else are they willing to do. Especially if they get into one of their drunken whooping and hollering parties.

I thought about maybe setting a couple 1 1/2 coilspring traps amoung the firewood pile, a couple 220s connibears be better:) I really dont want to do that cause it will take away from my trapping. Although i pull all traps next week. It is shotgun season here for deer soon. The area around here will be flooded with out of town/county hunters. Its a very dangerous time to be in the woods here on national forest, although i plan to do some hunting myself. I usually fill my tags on day 1 as i know where to hunt:) Oh yea i wear an awful lot of blaze orange!!

You all got any ideas how to deal with this?? Thanks

Keep yor powder dry

·
..where do YOU look?
3,920 Posts
booby-traps are illegal, in every place I've ever lived in the US, and that's a few.

I might use a game camera... then a trip to the local constable with the contents

R

·
Banned
1,627 Posts
drill a 3/4 hole in a few pieces, fill the hole with salt or sulfer and put a short dowel to plug the hole, both will put the fire out or make it smoke, but the sulfer will stink.

·
HomesteadHopefuls
709 Posts
set about 50 mousetraps,,,:D
them things snapping on those rats cold fingers might make them think twice next time.
sorry shes having a problem with thieves.
I hope she has some kind of protection in case they get mean about it.
maybe you can talk with your local sheriff,maybe just give him a heads up about it, just in case there is any trouble she already has a hand up on the situation.

·
Super Moderator
16,910 Posts
Spray paint the ends of the pile, and visit the bonfires to check them? That way you can separate the goats from the sheep!

Heh. If they have the painted wood, you might ask them to pay for it, at supermarket rates! They won't pay it, but it is embarressing and they might not take any more.

·
keep it simple and honest
3,810 Posts
Put up a sign: "Camp firewood for sale. $4 a bundle and make 2-3 bundles. Then they will know they are stealing something that has a value on it...or they may just buy some!

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
I used to have a "sports alarm", that a jogger could yank the cord, and a siren would go off. You could rig that to go off when the tarp was yanked.

Where is that big old dog of yours sleeping, Ellie was it? She must be enjoying the good life indoors.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Brings back memories of my youth. We did the same thing years back to build our bonfires when I was more the party type. During our drunken, whooping and hollering parties we usually stuck to drinking, whooping and hollering. Oh to beee young!

Here's a novel idea that doesn't include anything macho or devious. Actually go and talk to them like they are adults. Maybe sit and have a beer with them. Offer to sell them firewood. Make them enemies and you'll find out what they might do.

·
Formerly Kathleen in AR
1,050 Posts
I used to have a "sports alarm", that a jogger could yank the cord, and a siren would go off. You could rig that to go off when the tarp was yanked.

Where is that big old dog of yours sleeping, Ellie was it? She must be enjoying the good life indoors.
This sounds good to me. I bet it would scare them half to death! :D

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
I wonder where the dog is as well .
the sports alarm wouldnt break any laws and would make a point.

not reccommending the action of one of our older neighbors.
When some meth heads started having bon fires near his home and partying till the wee hours he decided to put a stop to it.
He did this by placing propane torch bottles in hollow logs .
needless to say their roaring fire really roared. but the message was clear .
Its not like druggies are going to call the police so the neighbor got lucky .
Had anyone been hurt its very likely the neighbor would have lost everything he owns in the court case.
setting a booby trap is a very bad idea think hard at what it could cost.

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
yes, booby traps will backfire on you cuz of the law

that said, my great grandpa had the same problem, neighbor taking firewood. He drilled a hole and put a stick of dynamite in it. Nobody died(luckily) but it sure solved the problem.

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Game camera will provide evidence as to who is doing it. And they are legal. Most of the suggestions here are not. Turn the pictures over to the sheriff and let him deal with them.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I agree with Put up a sign. Either to sell bundles or keep off, please get your own firewood. This pile is mine.

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts
Lowes sells window alarms...shrill siren when two magnetic halves are separated...You can get four or five for maybe 15-20$. I'd have a few of those sitting there tied with fishing line...one unit on a piece of wood next to its mate so when it's picked up, and they separate, you'll know. Game camera is a good idea. Ya don't wanna booby trap stuff so anyone gets hurt, cause they'll end up owning the place. Good luck...(I like the idea of sulfur plugs too)

·
Bitter Clinger
4,787 Posts
I don't think motion lights are very expensive. Set one up near the woodpile.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Yup, put up a sign. "$XX per bundle - pay at the back door or replace the wood used so Grannie won't freeze this winter."

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good ideas everyone. I think ill take the non violent route. I like the sulphur idea. Ill let you all know if i catch a thief in the act!

Keep your powder dry

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
mousetraps: and then they get even by heaving rocks through your windows.

"for sale" signs: then you give them permission to be on your land? And this isn't about a crime (handcuffs and jail), but a debate about the price (civil suit)?

firecrackers: I cannot help but think that somehow, some lawyer will take your farm for that one.

I think the camera is the best idea. And let the local cops know about your concerns. Cameras tend to make folks honest.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts