1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Better to earn your survival by working for a company that cares about you (even if just for what you can do for them) than to hope a benevolent government saves you.
Well, some of us have follow Firestone's doings in Liberia for a long time, not just reading one article of propaganda fluff about them. Civil rights abuses, collusion with dictators, and massacres are just some of the things they've done there.

When you say "Firestone" in Liberia, it's like saying "Monsanto" here.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,914 Posts
In this case their "corporate greed" or desire to keep their rubber plantation running business as usual, collided with the humanitarian causes of preventing the spread of ebola and trying to save people who have it. A win-win. But it sounds like in this case, they went above and beyond for their workers so good for them.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
I admit I know nothing about Firestone's evil doings. But if I had ebola and lived in the area, I don't think it would matter much to me. Survival is a powerful incentive. They've apparently figured out protocols that work pretty well to deal with ebola. We could learn from what they've accomplished.

·
13,914 Posts
Well, some of us have follow Firestone's doings in Liberia for a long time, not just reading one article of propaganda fluff about them. Civil rights abuses, collusion with dictators, and massacres are just some of the things they've done there.

When you say "Firestone" in Liberia, it's like saying "Monsanto" here.
Big corporations have done those things here, too, just not lately. Give credit where credit is due, they did something right this time. Keeping the disease from running rampant thru the workers and their families is hardly "fluff", it's a real accomplishment.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
I admit I know nothing about Firestone's evil doings. But if I had ebola and lived in the area, I don't think it would matter much to me. Survival is a powerful incentive. They've apparently figured out protocols that work pretty well to deal with ebola. We could learn from what they've accomplished.
Companies like that treat their employees really well. Trust me on that one. Seen it first hand.

In general, it's always been a good survival skill to be useful to those in power who have the resources and control to keep you alive or in comfort.

But there's always been an associated cost with aligning with powers like that. I couldn't pay it. Some of you are paying it right now.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
All true, and not my business who aligns with who, as long as it's voluntary. But aside from the idea that it's an evil corporation that's doing this, it might be beneficial to actually consider what they have done apart from who they are. That could be the real lesson to be learned in this. If an evil corporation can do it, then maybe communities could do it too.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
All true, and not my business who aligns with who, as long as it's voluntary. But aside from the idea that it's an evil corporation that's doing this, it might be beneficial to actually consider what they have done apart from who they are. That could be the real lesson to be learned in this. If an evil corporation can do it, then maybe communities could do it too.
Read the article?

Those other non-corporate communities probably don't have hazmat suits laying around, a spare hospital, or the funds to fly in doctors.

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
FWIW, the presence of Firestone there dates back close to the founding of the country, when blacks in America volunteered or were "encouraged" to go back to Africa and start their own country. The rubber plantations relate back to an "enlightened" form of colonialism. There are articles on them in National Geographic from the 1920s, IIRC.

Honestly, they are far more benign than most alternatives. A corporate campus with standards for entrance and work in exchange for security and basic food and health care could very well be the only way that stability is possible in other areas with even more corrupt politicians and extreme tribalism and genocide.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Read the article?

Those other non-corporate communities probably don't have hazmat suits laying around, a spare hospital, or the funds to fly in doctors.
Yes, I read it and listened to the story too. I know of lots of communities that have plenty of money to do exactly what Firestone did. Not every community, but some. But that's not the point anyway. It's not all about money. There are things to be learned for those who are open to learning. If you're not interested in that, that's fine. I don't quite understand your perspective, but that's not my goal in participating in the survival forum. Survival is.

·
13,914 Posts
Read the article?

Most fire depts will have some hazmat suits. Even our little volunteer force, for a town of 800, does.

There are lots of nurses, EMTs and others with medical training around even if not an MD. Veterinarians know pharmacology and a lot of other thing that cross over. Hospital is just a building, they won't be needing MRI machines and a lot of fancy equipment for ebola patients, it seems to be mostly intense supportive care they need.

A lot of communities could duplicate the effort described in the article if they had to. Heaven forbid it comes to that, but it's good to know it has been done, fairly successfully, and mostly by amateurs.

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Companies like that treat their employees really well. Trust me on that one. Seen it first hand.

In general, it's always been a good survival skill to be useful to those in power who have the resources and control to keep you alive or in comfort.

But there's always been an associated cost with aligning with powers like that. I couldn't pay it. Some of you are paying it right now.
Ouch! Not taking any sides but, either this is a very emotional topic for you or else you better watch out, if you take a tumble off your high horse it might hurt. Now, maybe I took that wrong but, ouch.

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Ouch! Not taking any sides but, either this is a very emotional topic for you or else you better watch out, if you take a tumble off your high horse it might hurt. Now, maybe I took that wrong but, ouch.
Where you been?

Yes, it's an emotional topic because I served evil corporations for many a year.

And yes, I feel an extra pity for those who are doing it now and either don't know it or think they have no choice.

Much of my purpose of being here is to convince people that yes, they do have a choice.

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Interesting you should share that. There is much that is evil in this world, agreed. I believe there are many good minds and much knowledge on this site. Stated that many times. Some of the best topics and discussions are where people put out their knowledge and ideas. Sometimes taking the tactics an evil entity is using, looking at it and understand it, gleaning what works, can be useful. Take the power away. You know, know thy enemy kind of thing. To try and convince by putting down what seems to be genuine, meh,as you say. And as I said, maybe the statement wasn't meant to sound as highhanded as I took it but maybe it was.

That aside, this idea of local people helping each other may need to be tucked away in case this really explodes. Local firefighters, all volunteer in my area, may need to put suits under lock and key.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts