Fireplace

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tallpines, Sep 30, 2004.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

We need a suplemental heat source and are considering a gas fireplace, but, I'm concerned about giving up too much living room space.

If you have one----please get out a tape measure and tell me its size.
    I'm mostly concerned about projection out into the room.
    How much additional space is taken up by the hearth?

Any other advice is welcomed.

2. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Tallpines, you don't have to give up anything but wall space. They make the fireplace heaters that can be flush mounted with your wall. They cost more but it might be worth it if you are that serious about space. You can also get a wallmounted unit (some are pretty others utilitarian) that sticks out roughly 7 inches and needs so much clearance above and below.

If you had a standing fireplace with mantle, well mine is a standard mantle size, but they make small cute ones too. I suggest you consider special ordering the size/style that fits your needs. It owuld be worth the money in the long run. If it is going to be used as a main heat source, I recommend getting a vented style. I have never had trouble with my non-vented units but they are supplemental. Others in here have said they had moisture problems when they are not vented in fairly airtight houses.

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

gas dont need a hearth there is no hot ashes to blow out

4. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    The space considerations depend on the type of unit you are buying. Here in my illinois house we gave up on the old hotair furnace and we have 3 wall mounted gas fires and we made nice little false mantels around them. They stick out about 6-8 inches from the wall and we have a little false tile hearth in front of them for looks. We heat the whole house about 1500 sq ft with those three fires. If you have a good tight house, one or two would keep you nice and toasty. I bought mine at farm and fleet for about $215.00 a piece.

Now in the Missouri house I have zero clearance fireplaces that burn wood but they can also have gas logs installed. These are metal fireplace shaped units you can place against the wall and frame around them. Most of them are about 4 feet wide, 2 feet deep and 3 feet high. The chimney goes up from there.
    I have nice tile hearths in front of them as mine are wood burning. At Menards, the unit is 140.00 plus 40.00 for each 4 ft section of triple wall chimney and about 70 bucks for the roof cap finishing kit. Each of my fireplaces had 3 lengths of chimney so 140 for the unit.....120 for chimney and 70buck kit makes
    330 per fireplace. You can install one in a couple of hours in a single story house without too much trouble. They are a breeze to put into new construction. They can also be fitted with an electric blower to help distribute the heat. The blower costs about 30.00. you can see the process of installing one of these on this webpage from my webdiary.
    http://www.geocities.com/missourijournal/MISSOURIJOURNAL16.html