Fireplace problem

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jamo, Sep 25, 2005.

1. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

We decided to put in an insert and the man said that we couln't because out firebox was up about 2". I guess we don't have a masonary box. There's brick on the back but metal on the sides. The whole thing must fit into the opening. I really want to do SOMETHING to help with heating. Any advice????

2. Ed0517

Ed0517 Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, but the fora at www.Hearth.com have a lot of Q&As and a forum to post in, even with some inspectors and stove shop owners

edit - made site name a hyperlink

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

When you take a bath, leave the hot water in the tub until it is cool. We did this during a 3 day power failure one winter here in Kansas, and it DOES help.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Is the fireplace floor 2 inches higher than the hearth along the front. Is there a reason you couldn't put thin bricks on the outside of the fireplace to raise the floor up even with the bottom of the fireplace?

5. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link.

he fireplace itself is made of stone. There is a black metal box that fits into the fireplace and then white brick on the back. The fireplace guy says that that IS my actual fireplace. I asked if that could just be taken out and he said it could be removed from the outside which wouldn't be a big deal since we have reverse board and batten.

I'm also wondering about the hearth grates that blow heat. Do you think that would make it too hot?

6. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

7. moldy

moldy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. This is something I've been wanting to do, but have been told that I can't use an insert because of the pre-fab fireplace. Just like me not to take "no" for an answer....