Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and I recently moved into a house that has a fire place insert. This is our first. This may be a dumb question but what are some things I need to check before I light my first fire? I can not find any company in the area that clecks or cleans them, we are not going to be getting on our roof because it is very steep so what can and should I do? Help

:help:

·
Premium Member
18,153 Posts
This may sound like a dumb answer, but the first thing I'd check before starting my first fire is your insurance policy.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a renting my place. The landlord had me sign a paper when I moved in that said they don't take care of the insert but that if I wanted to use it I am responsible.

So what do I do

·
Premium Member
18,153 Posts
I am a renting my place. The landlord had me sign a paper when I moved in that said they don't take care of the insert but that if I wanted to use it I am responsible.

So what do I do
Since you are responsible if the house burns down, I'd look into purchasing some kind of insurance coverage that would protect you in the event of that happening.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The first thing that really needs to be done is to have the chimney inspected/swept. No telling how long it's been since a fire was in the fireplace or insert.

I have a BlazeKing insert and was able to download an owners manual from the internet. So far this year I've only used the insert and haven't had to turn on either of the furnaces.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been trying to find someone who will come clean it and inspect it but in the phone book there is no one listed who does this in my area and I have been asking friends and they don't know of anyone .

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
You might try to call your local fire department, they usually know who cleans and inspects chimney's. Unfortunately, most of the ones around here will not inspect/clean fireplaces with inserts or woodburners in them, and others will only do it if they have been lined.

Dawn

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
We have a wood burning insert. It's an older Sierra. The fellow that installed the stove is the one who comes out once a year to inspect, pull it out, clean and sweep the flue.

Find out who installed it and ask them who will sweep it for you.

·
on furlough-downsized
1,516 Posts
I found My chimney sweep by Googling "chimney sweeps near (zipcode)" They were not in the phone book either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts