Fireplace insert fans

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Oggie, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

The fans on our fireplace insert don't seem to be pushing much air. There are two of them, mounted behind a grill under the firebox. They are supposed to move air through another grill mounted above the firebox.

I took the fans out last year and cleaned all the dust off them. They seemed to work a little better, but that could be wishfull thinking.

Another variable: The AC power to the fans runs through a light dimmer switch so that fan speed can be controlled. I'm not sure about how motors work with power from such a switch.

The insert was in the house when we bought it, so I don't know the manufacturer or have any information on it.

Is it possible to buy generic replacement fans for inserts?

Any suggestions?

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    After market fans are available at W.W. Grangers if not available elsewhere, most larger cities have an appliance supply store, you will need to take the existing fan or its info numbers to get replacements. Make sure the replacements are for a varied speed system, the currant ones may not be that type of fans, which could be the problem of not enought air.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

You will want to have the design of fan that is referred to as squirrel cage. The squirrel cage fan will push more air and it is suitable for a speed controller. If you have the squirrel cage design already you may need to look closely to see if there is lint built up in the cage portion of the fan. Lint will greatly reduce the performance when clogging the blade portion.