Fireplace/heat source location within house?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by hoofinitnorth, Jan 17, 2007.

1. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

I read something a while back that a fireplace and/or other heat source for central heating should be located on the south side (I think) of the building. Is this true and upon what is it based? I think I remember something about it being opposite in the southern hemisphere??? I certainly understand solar gain and THAT being the reason houses face south, but heat sources, especially fireplaces?

2. Ed0517

Ed0517 Well-Known Member

Fireplaces are lousy for heat, sometimes even worse than no fireplace at all. But woodstoves and the like are usually better centrally located. Some people have masonry heaters and the like where the sun can hit them for passive solar. Maybe that was what you were thinking? South facing windows or skylights shining on the masonry? (and yeah, the reverse for the southern hemisphere)

3. hoofinitnorth

It was specific to fireplaces and wood stoves, but I talked to another couple of guys when we were building this place that said they knew the same "rule" and that it applied to all heat sources??

We currently have oil-fired stoves and probably would again if we built another place.

4. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

What they are referring to is the heat storage gained by the fireplace bricks during the day, from the sun.
    That would be the only reason. And not a good one at that.
    Your right, fireplace very bad as a heat sources, as most of the heat goes up the flue.

5. Ed0517

Ed0517 Well-Known Member

well, woodstoves and fireplaces and the like aren't vented. Furnaces are. Yeah, maybe being centrally located will keep the heat lines or ductwork from getting too long, but it isn't that big a thing for them.

Centrally located chimneys draft better and deposit less creosote, though, if you are burning wood. They stay warmer than outside ones.

6. hoofinitnorth

Hmm, interesting. I think what I read had something to do with how the earth turns and supposedly how the heat would move through the house??? Something similar to the Coreolis Effect (or whatever it's called that makes water swirl down the drain one direction in the northern hemisphere and the other in the southern), perhaps?

But there was something else about a fireplace on the north side wouldn't heat the building properly like a fireplace on the south or something - like the heat would all go up the chimney on one side but not on the other???

???

Wish I could find it again... ARGH.

7. hoofinitnorth

This site talks about central locations for fireplaces/wood stoves vs. locating them on outside walls. Nothing about south side of the house though...

I distinctly remember drawings of a fireplace on the south side vs. other sides of the house...

8. hoofinitnorth

How about a double-sided oil-drip stove or similar heat source? I see double-sided multi-fuel and wood stoves but not one made for oil...

9. hoofinitnorth

OK, now I know I'm not crazy - my husband remembers the same stuff I do and he doesn't remember the same stuff I can't remember! lol