Fireplace Heat Exchanger

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Country Lady, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

More than 20 years ago we bought an insert for the fireplace, from Sears, called a heat exchanger. It had an electric fan that set on the hearth and blew air through a series of pipes, that served as the grate, then warm air out into the room. We're now looking for another of this type. I don't remember it being very expensive at the time. Sears no longer carries them and I'm not having any luck when doing a search, or checking with local fireplace and hardward stores. Does anyone know if these are still being made today and where they can be purchased?

2. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

3. efdgoon

efdgoon Member

I ran into the same thing some time ago. I ended up going to a local muffler shop with a drawing and a small blower and the rest is history as they say. It lasted about 5 years before that one burned through but it worked great. Hope this gets the creative juices flowing.

4. hooyeah123

hooyeah123 Member

I checked out a book on fireplace designs recently, and saw a passive (non fan powered) design that had the air intake on the bottom and the hot air exhaust on the top. It used convection current to circulate the air.

It was made of several tubes, shaped like several C 's. the fire is set in the middle of the C.

I was thinking of trying something like that for my front fireplace. The person who built our fireplace didn't use firebrick, and the bricks they used to line the fireplace are crumbing. Its on the list of things I want to fix soon...

I was thinking of using that tube design and maybe make a black iron liner box insert.

5. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i might be wrong but i think they call them heatalator now try a search on that

6. Country Lady

Your replies have me on the right track now. This is close to what we once had. http://www.fireplaceradiator.com/home We didn't play nearly this much for it, but I have to remember that was 20 years ago too. We have plenty of wood now, so it should pay for itself in time. Thanks all!

7. Mastiff

Mastiff Well-Known Member

8. Country Lady

We've kept checking and looking and found out the type we had years ago was discontinued because of a clean air act. We've measure our fireplace and the ones shown in the links won't fit due to the location of the propane starter. Oh well, still looking.

9. Country Lady

10. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll be suprised if that reflector deal wouldn't get smoked up and warped in no time....doubt you'd ever recover your intial purchase price.......on the other hand, put a shelf in it, and let it FACE the fire, and you could probably bake bisquits in it !