Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a fireplace in a modular home and in the back of the fireplace the brick is cracked is there a spacial mortar for this or is it just regular brick mortar,anyone have experience?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Special mortar. Special brick. Home Depot will have both. Most hardwares and home building centers will also have the cement you need. I say Home Depot because they are pretty well all over North America.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
bqz said:
Have a fireplace in a modular home and in the back of the fireplace the brick is cracked is there a spacial mortar for this or is it just regular brick mortar,anyone have experience?

Is this real brick like a hand built fireplace or is this a zero clearance unit with a brick panel? If it is a zero clearance I would check the brand and contact the manufacturer for a replacement panel.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
It is nearly positive it is a prefabed unit in a modular home. That's all they install around here in mods, unless someone paid way up there for the real thing.
We're talking 5 to 8 G's.

Beeman is right. Be safe and Go to the factory. Those things are a disaster waiting to happen. They are built, IMHO, out of metal that is too thin to start with.
It may just be cosmetic brick to start with and there is no danger, but I wouldn't want to wake up at 2 AM to the fire alarm going off. If that would even work.
I have wired Lord only knows how many homes, and I would estimate that 30 to 40% of the time, one of the fire alarms in a six pack of them didn't work from get go.
With a fire place in the house, I would light a cigarette and stick it up under each alarm and double check it. That's what I always did when I wired a house. Sometimes the test button worked but the unit wouldn't sound off or set the rest of them off either the way they are supposed to when I put smoke directly into it.
I know I have had to change out 8 or 10 of them because of this.
Just something to think about.
dennis

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
It can be patched with refractory cement or fire clay.....a mason supply house will have both available....... Furnace cement can be bought at the hardware store, but the refractory will withstand more heat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts