Fireplace and Sickness

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Joe in MO, Dec 30, 2004.

  1. Joe in MO

    Joe in MO Active Member

    Messages:
    30
    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2003
    We've been burning in our fireplace for the past 2 months and the wood that I've burned has been cut as far back as at least 2 years. Some of the wood had mold growing on it.
    We've been sick with sinus problems and headaches and I was wondering if the wood I'm burning has something to do with it. The fireplace has a blower on it so it blows the air out into the house. Could this be the reason why we're sick?
    Thanks for any help,
    Joe
     
  2. Mrs_stuart

    Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,255
    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2003
    Location:
    MISSOURI
    Joe, You are not the only one. We to have been burning wood, and i have come to the conclusion, that it is just the dry wood heat, smoke (even It is little), and dust, just horrible on my sinus'. I have done eveything i know of, but i have had a headache, head full of "jello", stuffy nose for about 1 1/2 months now. Someone on another board suggested an all natural product (nose spray) that helps them. I went and got it and it is helping. It is a nasal wash called Xclear. I got mine at the pharmacy but i have also found it at the healthe food store. It helps out quite a bit. this is the best i have felt in many weeks. I figure, i will have to feel this way or pay some serious cash for propane...

    belinda
     

  3. Cabin Fever

    Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

    Messages:
    15,068
    Joined:
    May 10, 2002
    Location:
    Between Crosslake and Emily Minnesota
    Yes, moldy wood can cause allergies. Since your family seems to be affected by the molds (primarily Aspergillus sp.), I would suggest that you keep your firewood outdoors and bring it in the house, stick by stick, to burn.

    Seasoned firewood should not mold in the house. Even though your wood was cut two years ago, it must not be seasoned adequatly.
     
  4. bumpus

    bumpus Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    3,280
    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2003
    Location:
    Right Here
    .
    The mold growing on the wood could bee your problem.

    Check a make sure all of the smoke and fumes from the fire are going up the chimney.

    You could be getting some carbon monoxide poisoning in your house.

    .
     
  5. cloverfarm

    cloverfarm Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    717
    Joined:
    May 31, 2004
    Location:
    Michiana
    My mom and dad used to heat a lot more with wood. Mom went through a spell of migraines every day or every other day. I always wondered if it were carbon monoxide, but perhaps the dryness of the atmosphere? At any rate, I do think there could be a connection.

    HOpe you all feel better soon1

    ann
     
  6. WIPPdriver

    WIPPdriver Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    46
    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2003
    You probably need to run a humidifier because the fireplace with the blower dries out the air. We have a pellet stove and run a humidifier when we run the stove.
    WIPPdriver
     
  7. Cabin Fever

    Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

    Messages:
    15,068
    Joined:
    May 10, 2002
    Location:
    Between Crosslake and Emily Minnesota
    You should do a web search on the following words: firewood mold health

    You'll be surprised of all the information that you'll find regarding the health effects of storing moldy firewood indoors.
     
  8. Freeholder

    Freeholder Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    5,665
    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2004
    When we were heating with wood, I had almost a constant headache indoors. It would go away as soon as I got outside. I don't think it was carbon monoxide, as the house was extremely drafty, but was probably smoke allergies. My step-father says he's allergic to some kinds of smoke, but not others (I think soft-woods bother him most). I would still heat with wood if I could, as it's a much more comfortable heat. But must say that with all-electric in this house, I've felt better through the winter than when we've had wood heat. I guess you just need to spend as much time outside as possible -- and be thankful you don't live a thousand years ago, when houses were heated, and all cooking was done, with an open fire in the middle of the room!

    Kathleen
     
  9. 3girls

    3girls Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    510
    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2004
    Location:
    SE PA, zone 6b
    I live in a house where no wood is burned. I get similar symptoms. It is the winter dryness that causes most of the problem. Also, with everything closed up there are more things such as household molds, dust mites, etc. floating around. Probably a good idea to step up the vacuuming schedule during winter.

    I had a lovely woodstove in WA with a fan on the top. I bought an iron teakettle to use on the top of the stove. Problem solved.

    If your stove is built right, what you put into it should not be a problem in the room. The fire quickly kills any mold.

    Be advised that carbon monoxide poisoning causes severe headache. There are monitors similar to fire alarms for CO presence.
     
  10. dreadstalker

    dreadstalker Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    60
    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2004
    Location:
    central nebraska
    the heat will kill any mold spores.you may be allergic to the mold itself.just bring in enough for each days burn and store the rest outside.the smoke cuased by a malfunctioning damper or a falty damper setting can cuase headaches.i also keep my teapot on the stove.you can also set up a potpurri on the stove.anything to add humidity
     
  11. Thoughthound

    Thoughthound Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    280
    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2004
    Location:
    Iowa
    Also keep in mind that mold can go dormant for a very long time (years) and then be reactivated by moisture.

    If there is mold on the wood, it really doesn't matter how long it has been seasoned.

    The wood is dead but the mold rises again!
     
  12. nodak3

    nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

    Messages:
    2,390
    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2003
    Wood heat is worse on sinuses, and so is coal heat. Best thing is to just not do it. Sometimes progress IS progress.
     
  13. antiquestuff

    antiquestuff Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    752
    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2004
    Modern heat bothers me-so, it isn't progress for me! :no:
    I actually am better with wood..........don't ask why, I'm confused myself!
    A pot of water steaming away helps the dry air problem.........