Firefox browser extensions

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HermitJohn, Jan 16, 2005.

1. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

I've mainly been using Opera browser so havent paid lot attention to the rapidly expanding number of Firefox/Mozilla extensions. http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/

They are mainly shortcuts and enhancements to browser function but dont have to be limited to that. And they apparently work with Firefox/Mozilla at least on both windows and linux versions. Havent tried with BeOS or other operating systems versions. I ran across one this morning that I tried that added bunch of free solitare games to Firefox browser on my install of Puppy Linux. It didnt want to install when I clicked install button on website, but I downloaded the solitare extension to my hardrive, then told Firefox to install it from there. That worked. I've only played couple of games, but they seem to work fine. and its a very small download. http://cardgames.mozdev.org/

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I recently add a zoom extension that enlarges pictures. Really nice! Also a new extension that resizes large urls and makes them tiny so it doesn't mess up the formatting on the forum.

3. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

You'll are so smart. I wish I knew what you all were talking about and I wasn't so computer ignorant

4. HermitJohn

Mozilla is an alternative browser to Internet Explorer. It comes with lot bells and whistles much like IE. Firefox is a small version of Mozilla without extras. The extensions I mention add specialized extra functions to Firefox and I believe they work on Mozilla also. Firefox works fine without the extensions, but the extensions offer extra convenience, just install the ones you want. Since Mozilla/Firefox is open source , many people have written their own extensions for Firefox. More than are included on the link I gave. Really quite interesting how creative people have been with this. I gave the particular link to the solitare extension as many people enjoy solitaire but many of the free versions now come with nasty spyware included. Well this doesnt and even works with linux version of Firefox (linux is an operating system , like windows is an operating system). There is a version of Firefox for windows, their is a version of Firefox for Linux, and there are versions of Firefox for other operating systems like BeOS and OSX and Solaris and others. Just think of windows and linux and the others as being like different makes of car. They do same things, just have different look and different components. The parts from your Chevy probably wont easily work with those of your Ford......

5. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

I downloaded the card games. How do I tell Firefox to install them? I extracted them with winzip and still see no way to fire the games up.

6. HermitJohn

The easiest way would have not been to download the extension to hardrive, but to go to the website using Firefox and hit the install button on the webpage for that particular extension. But sometimes that doesnt work so you download the extension to someplace on your hardrive that you know where is. The desktop is a good place. With Firefox open but minimized to the tray, try just clicking on the file you downloaded. Firefox should respond with a popup (try restoring Firefox to full screen if it doesnt). I am guessing as I am using Linux not windows. It will depend how well Firefox is linked to windows explorer, the native filemanager for windows. On Puppy Linux, Firefox is not linked to ROX, the native file manager so this didnt work. The way I did it in Puppy Linux and should work with windows if necessary is to open Firefox and instead of a web url, type in the file location of the extension where you downloaded it on your computer and when the file is shown, click on it. (Firefox and most browsers can act as at least a limited filemanager and see files on your computer.) Firefox will recognize the extension and in a small popup ask if you want to install it. Install it, then close Firefox and reopen it. Now to run the extension, click TOOLS at top of screen and click on the extension you want. It will be towards the bottom of the list. Firefox on my computer lists it as "Cards". It will open the extension, then you decide which game you want to play. There are lot of them. Its really pretty well done extension. I was impressed.

7. cathyharrell

cathyharrell Well-Known Member

Thank you.

8. Clara Bell

Clara Bell Well-Known Member

mozilla.org....mozilla.org :waa: :waa:
    This is your grandpappy, communicating like this! Get to know these guys.
    This is not BG. This is homesteading ICT, as close as it can get, (correct me if I'm wrong), communicating homesteading like we are.
    I love my FoxFire and my Thunderbird. Foxfire can't eat my chickens and Thunderbird is not a hawk in my neck of the woods.
    They are both very pliable personable pieces of communication tools.
    I keep finding ways to use them sitting up here on my little part of this mountain.
    But maybe I've been asleep. Their website looks a little slick? A little different. Maybe its the well thought out graphics illustrating.
    A controllable browser and email. EX: I have the headers download from the server, then I decide if I want to download their spam/message exploring their games in the headers, even with server sided spam/virus control and Norton. The email download time for me is cut in half if not more, because all the advertising HTML crap is not taking up my time downloading.

Cut and dried! What more could you want?
    If you want to play solitaire, I suggest you get a box of cards. Or keep EI with FoxFire. EI play games.
    But who am I? I'm just a babe in the woods with all this. And I will be the first to admit.

9. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

I loaded Foxfire on one machine and it has a tab called Latest Headlines. I like the idea of being able to click on it and get the latest world news.

But I downloaded Foxfire to another machine and it didn't have that tab. Does anyone know how to create that headline tab????

Thanks

Bruce