Fire ring from 55 gal drum

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tambo, May 28, 2006.

1. tambo

tambo Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever made one of these?I have some guestions?I'm thinking I will have to bury it in the ground some so how tall should we cut it and should I fill it back in with dirt or rock?I'm wanting it for dutchoven cooking coals under and on top so I'm thinking I should put some bricks in the bottom too.

Thanks
    Tambo

2. dale

dale Well-Known Member

Well I would fill it up to where you need it with sand.. it will help to hold the heat when heated up.
    Anyway that is what Johnny Nix says on his camp cooking program on RFD TV on satalite

3. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Why cut it at all? Take the top off, fill it with dirt, sand ect. You'll be able to cook in your dutch oven without having to crawl on the ground.

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Go to your local tractor dealer, he should have plenty of old tractor wheels for free. They are heavy and the right height. I just surround mine with rocks.

5. NJ Rich

NJ Rich NJ Rich

I would split the barrel length wise. Stack some cement blocks to support the ends leaving a space underneath. This space would provide an area to keep foods warm. You wouldn't need to kneel on the ground to tend your Dutch Oven and provide areas to cook and keep food warm until it is time to serve. I would line the bottom with sand or if you can afford it line the bottom with fire brick.

If you want a barrel just to contain a fire to sit around place it on the ground with blocks to keep it from rolling. If it is just to use to cook place it on blocks. You will need to make a cover to keep the rain out.

I would build mine so I can sit by on a chair and watch my food cook. That is about 20 to 30 inches off the ground to the top of the barrel.

BTW: I am sure many of us would like to know how you built it and how well it works. Good luck NJ Rich

6. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

I just used some rocks to make my firepit - many goods times with many good friends.

[​IMG]

7. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Or.....

What we did was build a rock fire pit. The pit is 12 inches wider around the outside than the drum. I turn the drum upside down on top of firewood when not in use. I can lean the can on the rocks and build my fire inside the can to heat up the can on a cold day (night), and to control the fire in widy conditions.

Best of all, you can cover coals to keep them hot. I put 2 big logs in, 2 medium logs, and then 2 small logs, and turn it over on the coals. This keeps a fire safely simmering in the can overnight, or through the day.

Rick

8. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

If your primary use with it will be dutch oven cooking, then I would suggest cutting at about knee highth. You don't want it too tall for several reasons (although it's a very good idea). A tall pit would be more prone to children and possibly even adults leaning against it and possibly getting burnt. It would also be prone to being knocked over even if the sand would weigh it down considerably. Also you want an area that does not hinder the use of a shovel. You'll want to be able to use a shovel to scoop the coals on top of your oven. To tall could make the procedure awkward.

9. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Picked up an old Weber kettle charcoal grill, legs were rusted off, put it in the fire ring, works fine, can cook on the grill part, or in your case you can set the dutch oven on it, then cover with the dome.
    Dome also puts out the fire when done, and would most likly fit on the 55 gal drum.