Fire retardant ?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Vera, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

With my new woodfloor now extending across the front of the woodstove, I'm trying to find out what I can use on the wood to make it fire resistent. There was carpet before where the wood is now and I never burned the place down, but somehow wood looks so much more burnable and sooner or later, there'll be a tiny stray ember going "Geronimooooo!" The only old-fashioned tip I found that doesn't involve some sort of chemical is to soak the wood in a strong rocksalt solution... can't soak, but would it make sense to "paint" a small section of the floor with a solution like that? Anybody got any other ideas?

Edited to add: I just found another one, but it's for clothing. Dissolve so much borax in so much boiling water, spray on clothes. Washes out in the laundry. Apparently they use this for theater costumes. If it works on fabric, would it work on raw wood?

2. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

Rather than treat the wood, I would lay some ceramic tiles down around the stove. What is underneath the stove?

3. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

The stove sits on a base of sandstone and cement... it extends about 16 inches in the front, a bit more on the sides. What I'm worried about is the part of the wood floor at the front of the stove base, and I'd like to put something (invisible) on it just in case a little ember goes astray when I clean the ashes out or feed the stove. I'm planning to leave the floor "raw" with just a good waxing when needed.

4. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

Vera I hope your dogs like the sound of your new wood floor lol ;)
    the best solution if you really fear the embers lighting up your wood floor would be to get a movable hearth stone they are inexpensive and can be moved for cleaning, in building homes my experience has been to not treat a hardwood floor with anything other then poly or wax. it will discolor if you only treat a small section of it. the other option is a flame retardent throw rug................

_Neal