Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are wanting to build a brick fire pit out behind our house. We enjoy sitting around a campfire with family and friends, and have found some great plans. The area we have selected is surrounded by tall trees with a tree canopy of approximately 25-30 feet in height. Will the heat from a fire damage the tree limbs this high or be a fire risk? We don't want to have to cut trees to put in this fire pit. We will appreciate all opinions and comments.

Country Lady

·
Premium Member
7,154 Posts
If you don't build a humongous fire, or use too much "starter" to get it going, it shouldn't cause a problem. You might need to have a screen to keep sparks from going up in dry fall leaves and defineatly not into evergreens. A simple and safer thing would be a covered pit with screens that cover all four sides of the fire. These can be bought at many outlets.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem. I built mine out of an old tractor rim.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have bricks left over from our house and want to use these rather than buying one from a store. We do like the idea of a screen over the top. Any suggestions where to get screen that will not melt. Screen carried by Lowes and Home Depot will melt.

Country Lady

·
Registered
935 Posts
Your firepit should be just fine. A screen to take care of the sparks should be enough to protect the overhanging trees. I love a fire, &I've seen lot's of them. Nothing better for contemplating the Stars.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Alot depends on the type of trees, your climate and the season.

What might not catch fire in spring, just might in late summer. What might be ok out here in the midwest where everything is green, would burn the county down in California.

I had a stupid tenant who lit a fire under the trees. He caused some real damage to about half of the tree. Idiot.

Jena

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's hardwoods and southern pines. By the way, we only build fires when there are no fire bans and when we feel conditions are safe. However, we have lots of woods around us. Thanks for all your replys. It helps to get other's opinions.

Country Lady

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
CAUTION, brick can explode if they get too hot; this is why fire bricks are used to line fireplaces. How close to the fire are you planning to have the bricks?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts