fire pit, or something similar . . .???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by SherryR, Sep 16, 2006.

1. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'd love a fire pit (or what ever they are called--dirt area, surrounded by one small circle of large rocks, then a couple feet out, another larger circle around the smaller one.) Dumb question--does this affect homeowners insurance? Is this a fire pit? or what i s it called? I'd LOVE to have one, especially since fall is arriving. My neighbors have bonfires a few times a year . . . I dont want a bonfire, just a small fire to sit next to, outdoors. Any one know of how to build one of these to correct dimensions? I mean, so that the risk of fire is nothing or next to nothing,a s long as it is being monitored?
    thanks for any help for my post.
    Sherry

2. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

We love them.

We are putting one in the center of our living room. We have a sunken living in the center of our house. Propane fed. With a layer of crushed high-temp glass over the propane burners. Man they do look nice.

3. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

***this is not legal advice***

I have a burn pit at my house and I don't pay any additional insurance. It is great in the fall, sit on some haybales and drink (insert your favorite here) while telling stories and roasting mashmellows!

The only thing I could think of is if you were to burn your house down and they could prove that you did it under a fire ban or some law preventing burning in the city limits or something like that, they might not have to pay? Not really sure about that, but if you are really worried about it ask. I'd say make your two rock rings and burn away! At least that is what I do...

4. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

FYI ~ mashmellows can be one of three things:

A) Made of potatoes
    B) Caused by certain adult beverages at the fire pit
    C) A type-o

5. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

For out in the back yard, use a truck tire rim. Bent broken, cracked or bashed would be O.K. Any place that sells truck tires can probably find on for you on the cheap. Lay it on it's side and build your fire in it.

Put rocks around the outside of the tire rim, fancy as you like. Perhaps a couple of pieces of iron across the top to hold up your BBQ rack. Now round up a shovel to keep nearby. If the fire gets out of hand just shovel some dirt on it. Six or eight shovels full of dirt will show it who is boss, sand will work too.

This is NOT an appropriat matter to disscuss with anyone who works for an insurance company. They just don't get it.

6. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

We just piled up some rocks in a circle and it is a blast - can't wait for the weather to cool off a little.

[​IMG]

7. annethcz

annethcz Well-Known Member

We have a fire pit in the back yard, it doesn't affect our homeowner's insurance. We have a concrete bowl, surrounded by 1/2 ton of loose rock. We LOVE it- it's wonderful for entertaining. We often have friends and neighbors over- the adults sit by the fire while the kids play in the other part of the yard.

8. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

WOW! Nice place! You have to work hard to keep it that way. Congrats on such a nice backyard... pat yourself on the back (if it doesn't hurt too much :) )

9. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

i LOVE THAT YARD, THAT IS AWESOME, i SAVED THE PIC HOPE YOU DONT MIND, GIVES ME GREAT IDEAS, NICE JOB.

10. Beststash

Thanks for the compliments everyone - my wife is the garderner and it is definitely a lot of work. BTW, she says "That is not the backyard - that is the firepit"!! :shrug:

11. Tiffin

Tiffin Well-Known Member

We use concrete blocks. Problem is they crack and break. I'll use them until I run out and then I'll go find rocks like Beststash. I have the fire quite aways from the house near a brook for safety. We use to live closer to town and they didn't allow backyard fires. I think you could in those man made fire pits they sell now. By the way I burn household paper goods instead of throwing them in the garbage. Saves garbage space.

12. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I have a firepit that is surrounded by rocks but we haven't been able to use it for a while because of a ban on open fires. When we are allowed to have fires we like to cook on them. Maybe we'll get some rain soon.

13. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

more goofy questions-- I know to dig the grass away, but then how will it stay away? I realize that I will have to keep digging the grass until it is killed off by fire? Is that correct?
    Thanks for your input. Love your backyard, beststash.
    and a firepit in the house--that's only something to dream of, since I'm having a heck uv a time convincing hub to buy a wood burning parlor stove (you know, the teeny kind). He's hesitant cause he doesn't want to, and cause he's not yet checked out wether we can just use stove pipe to outdoors,(plus appropriate stone around area, etc) or must build chimney> He doesn't wantmajor investment right now, because he had to have our fuel oil furnace chimney relined, and he just found out that in Maine, you cannot use same chimney for wood&oil. Our furnace is a 'switchover' where you can use for one or other--it used to be ok to do that, but someone probably lined some politicians pocket to make legislation for separate chimneys. I know you CAN if you use a certain kind of designated chimney, but that's nnot the kind we have, of course.
    I'm kinda hyped about a firepit--hope I can make a proper one!
    Sherry

14. Beststash

If you ever come up with a way to stop weeds from growing...let me know!!! :dance:

With my firepit we just throw the dead stuff that falls around the yard in the pit and in no time it is full (don't worry about grass/weeds on the inside) and DW we just usually shoot a little roundup every once in a while around the outside edge which will clean it out about a foot (or you can weed). Where I live in the country there are no zoning issues, etc so that makes a lot of your problems disappear.

Good Luck!!!

15. RockyRooster

RockyRooster Well-Known Member

Beststash that is such a wonderful firepit (ssshh, backyard). LOL. I also saved pic for ideas. Your backyard, ummm I mean firepit is such an inspiration. Thanks for sharing that.