Fire Blight

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Dandelion, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Dandelion

Dandelion Member

Does anyone know how to get rid of fire blight on a pear tree?
    Also we are thinking of planting several fruit trees this spring. But a pear tree on our property has the fire blight- how "catchy" is it? Would it be a bad idea to order the fruit trees unless the blight is taken care of (assuming it can be?)

2. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

How bad is the blight? I was reading just the other day about fire blight on fruit trees. If the blight isn't really bad, you can cut back the infected part of the tree and burn the parts you cut off. Then, make sure you're keeping up with proper orchard 'hygiene'. In other words, clean up weeds, dropped fruit, and don't leave last years cuttings laying around.

If it's bad, I'm sorry to say I'm not sure how to treat it.

3. Ichabod

Ichabod Member

The best way treat fire blight in pears is to plant a resistant variety. Bartlett is highly susceptible to fire blight while Kiefer is resistant.

4. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

Make sure if you cut it out to dip cutters in bleach after ward.

5. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

Kathy's right, It's best to keep a small bucket of bleach, with you as you cut the brenches. Dip the cutters into the bucket, after each cut. A friend of mine has 300 asian pears, and that's the way he does it...
    lacyj