Fire ant solution please

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by NativeRose, Dec 6, 2004.

1. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Here in the east Texas, Huntsville area we are plagued with the dreaded fire ant. I do not like to use chemicals as my birds, lizards, frogs and toads do not like the chemicals. Does anyone know of a way to gid rid of these pests in an organic manner? Has anyone tried an organic product that worked? Please let me know as the ants have just about taken over. Thanks, Rosemary

2. Vonnie

Vonnie New Member

Rosemary,
    Finally I feel like I can make a contribution to this wonderful forum! Mostly I just read all the wonderful posts and learn about my new life which will I wholeheartedly embrace by the end of JAN. My DH is a native TXN born and bred and his family uses dry grits to get rid of fire ants. Several years ago, (been married 22 years) was sceptical until we lived in Corpus Christi and had a yard filled with those little devils. I poured grits around the hill (small) and it took a few days, but they eventually started dissapearing. They take it down to the queen. She supposedly eats it. When grits get moisture they expand. Queen dies. End of story. His family said this came out of Texas A&M or one of the Texas colleges. Not being a Native born Texan. I'm not familiar with them. A Google search may reveal more. It worked for us though. Have a Blessed Day and Take Care.

3. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

Thanks, Vonnie. I had heard of this but didn't know if it worked. I have a box or two of grits so I am going to give it a try. What area of Texas will you be moving to? Take care and have a safe, easy move.

4. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I couldn't think of a better use for grits... :dance:

5. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

I always thought it would be a great use for a steam machine. Put nozzle in mound pull trigger boiled ants. If you had a big steamer on a truck it may be a good business. Just a thought. Steve. :yeeha:

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Well-Known Member

I live in an area heavily infested with fire ants. To try and control them in my bird pens I have done a little research on fire ants. One thing is fire ants do not eat solid food, they eat liquid only. Anything fire ants, including the queen, eats is the solid food brought to the mound and liquified by the worker ants. The expanding grits is an old wives tale and there are a lot of others. On the Ms. coast there is a test done with imported flys that will kill fire ants, not a lot of information out yet. Hope it will work.