Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Living in the Hills
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on standby evac.

I went to Bible camp this week. Their theme was My God is L:arge & in Charge. I can't water down my house, but 20 minutes after we started praying a thunder storm appeared out of nowhere & dumped 1/2 an inch of rain right on top of us.

Our photos, important papers & BOBs are in the van, animals are ready to go. Two of my bil's are either dispatchers or in charge of wildland fires & they are watching to let me know if I need to run.

Tomorrow is supposed to be 104 & windy.

I guess a little more power from God & prayers from all of you would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Oh Cheryl,
I can imagine how scary this is for you. We experienced something similar when I lived in California. Do you have plans for where you can evacuate the horses to?

·
USMC can't fix stupid(s)
2,736 Posts
Cheryl in SD said:
I am on standby evac.

I went to Bible camp this week. Their theme was My God is L:arge & in Charge. I can't water down my house, but 20 minutes after we started praying a thunder storm appeared out of nowhere & dumped 1/2 an inch of rain right on top of us.

Our photos, important papers & BOBs are in the van, animals are ready to go. Two of my bil's are either dispatchers or in charge of wildland fires & they are watching to let me know if I need to run.

Tomorrow is supposed to be 104 & windy.

I guess a little more power from God & prayers from all of you would be greatly appreciated.
prayers from us!
tis blowing like crazy here, but no fires.
keep your wits about you and get ready to roll..!
keep us posted!!
take care!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
May God bless you and see you through this unscathed :) Good luck!

·
Living in the Hills
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The fire laid down after the rain & they are working (all night) to get a line around it. Today temps are expected to be 107 & wind. But we have a fighting chance now! There were 16 fires as of this morning. Lightening continued until 3 a.m. There are smaller fires south east of me, east of me & to the south west. There is another north west.

My biggest problem is that I need to get my kids out of the smoke. We were scheduled to return to camp tomorrow. My chore lady is fighting fire, so I can't just leave. Right now the plan is to take my dogs & cats to my mom's & brother's houses. I will fill every water container I can find for the goats & chickens. I will leave hay out for 3 days. My dh will be in Wed. (coming to camp also) and will restock the goats & chickens then & come on to camp. We return Friday. My neighbors will let the goats free if the fire heads this way and move them to the pond area where they should be safe.

We have insurance, but only to cover the mortgage as we just are finishing a remodel & they won't raise it until we get a new appraisal. But it is really looking like it will miss us here.

For all of you who told me to prep. THANK YOU! We were able to load the van in 5 minutes. I can now be on the road in less than two. If you ever wondered why you should be prepared, THIS is it. Figure out your most likely natural disasters & make a plan. Knowing what to do & being able to do it is lifesaving and gives great peace of mind.

·
Living in the Hills
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Our standby evac notice is lifted. The fire 1/8 of a mile behind us is out! WHEW!!! The large fire was downsized to 322 acres and is 35% contained. Both fires were man caused so that's a little scary. I hope they can catch them before someone gets hurt or killed or property is damaged. The second fire happened yesterday morning & was started right behind town. Someone saw it & they got on it right away. What ifs are running big but I can't help thinking, it was set (started) where if it had not been found would have taken out the town & blocked my only way out of our property! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx The good news is that the people I THINK are doing this, have gone home for the week & won't be back until next weekend. This is of course only my opinion based on obsevation & local gossip (which is based on first hand viewing & sherriffs reports). I am working on my anger. Being angry won't do any good, but these people put my kids in harms way & I am more than a little upset.

Thank you for your prayers!

Edited as I don't want to mess up the sherriff's investigation. :flame: :flame:

·
Registered
138 Posts
What a relief!
We lived in Lead during the mandatory evac in 2002 (Grizzly gulch fire). When the word was given to evac, we were already gone. I was NOT going to be in a line of panicked people with only one way out. We could see the fire on the next hill, and count the rivets on the bottom of the slurry bomber as he turned around right over our house. The neighbors laughed at us for leaving. Hey, look, I have precious cargo- not taking chances! (4 children) Red Cross was set up at the University in Spearfish, and we got three dorm rooms. One was for our elderly neighbor who had no car so we snatched her up. When the mandatory evac was announced, people had to sleep on cots in the gymnasium. My biggest complaint was no reporting of the fire and where to go for help over the radio.

So, having said that, stay alert and trust your own gut feeling. God speaks to you in ways that may be scoffed at by others.

dun

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.