fir trees sick-need help!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ann Mary, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I have 6 nice fir trees that I think have scale...tiny white segments on the needles????? I used the pressure washer with just water on them and that knocked alot of it off but not all. What can I do to save the trees? One has no new growth for the year. :( Should I spray with hort. oil??? These are nice tall trees and I sure don't want to loose them! thanks!

2. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

My first thought is that something is stressing these trees to attrack bugs, to much or to little water? to little light? A light summer oil will help with bugs but what is stressing trees?

3. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

There are many factors which could be doing it...sadly all of which I can't fix for them.
    1. They were planted right next to a dirt road....I think I will plan to hose them off once a month or so this summer.
    2. The local crop duster always seems to be spraying SOMETHING in the area...I doubt they like that.
    3. We have a high water table here. I'm not sure if that affects them or not...they aren't in muddy soil or anything but I never have to water them.They are probably about 30' tall.
    Thanks for your input!