Finn Sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by bergere, Apr 8, 2005.

1. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Does anyone Raise Finn sheep?
    How are they Temperament wise?
    Fleece Quality?

Have read all about them on the internet, and what I have heard 2nd and 3rd hand, but interested in a little more direct info.

2. CountryFried

CountryFried Well-Known Member

bergere,

I pm'ed a person here Evelyn123 awhile back and she has registered Finns. They live in South Central N.C. closer to S.Carolina. Her email is guenthers1@alltel.net.
    Maybe she can answer some questions, as I see she hasn't posted here since early March.

Sherry

3. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

Bergere,

I don't raise Finns but I did have one Finn ewe that gave me quadrupletes several years ago. The lamb that I kept out of her is a cross with suffolk/romanov. She is the sweetest girl, maybe because she was bottle fed. She is a wonderful mother and gives lots of milk. The lambs are a bit small at birth but mine have grown well. They have a beautiful face, in my opinion, with BIG eyes and a narrow muzzel. The full finn ewe had extremely soft wool and this cross daughter of hers does, too. Not being a spinner I'm completly ignorant about microns, ect.

Marilu

4. MTDeb

MTDeb Well-Known Member

Did you see the new Spin-Off magazine this month? They have a good article about Finn sheep. It's common for them to have 4 or 5 lambs at a time!

5. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Bergere, I know its been a long while since you posted this question, but I just spent some time at a Finn farm yesterday, and I have to tell you, I was VERY impressed...

In fact, after a long search, I decided that this is the breed for me.

They were easy going, not skittish at all, including the rams who were lovely and gentle, even with children handling them, carrying them, riding them...

The fleeces were very varied, (a nice trait in my opinion, it's a bonus to have options) but the best ones - oh my gosh! I'm sitting here holding a few locks of the most amazing fleece I've ever seen.
    You could spin it without washing or carding - it's just greasy enough to
    slip nicely through your fingers, its crimpy AND lusterous.

Their size was small, but they have enough meat on them to make them worthwhile, unlike some of the other small breeds I've explored.

They were honoring fences, gaining well on forage, and were generally very impressive to me.

There were 2 things that stood out as negatives, (I guess every breed has those). One concern was that the multiple lambs are not necessarily born trouble-free, as is sometimes touted. Lambing requires a close watch and there will be bottle lambs.
    The other is that Finns are among the breeds that are particuarly susceptible to OPP. I understand the testing for that disease is pricey, so your bio-security would have to be tight.

6. MAC

MAC Active Member

I bought some Finn ewes & a buck about 15 years ago from this place; they were healthy and hardy, better browsers than grazers, and sort of skittish. Problem was they were too proflic...and they had very small lambs. If you enjoy bottle feeding, these are the sheep you want. I imagine Finnsheep are better now, however.
    If you want to raise your lambing percentage with realistic sized sheep, try Polypays. I bought my Polypay buck from Oregon State University and his daughters produced over 200% lamb crops consistantly.