Finishing pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by djuhnke, Aug 6, 2005.

1. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

I've got 3 tamworths that are approaching the 115 day mark and they are around 105-120 lbs. Do the pasture breeds just take that much longer? I've been doing twice a day feedings for a week or so. Should I have been doing the twice a day all the time thru? They seem to consume like half of a piglet feeder (6 head) worth of corn/soy mash every day (fill up in morning and by next day its empty but I checked evening and it still had feed available). Any thoughts?

Dan

2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Well-Known Member

Dan, I assume you have wormed your hogs? As far as feed they should have full feed 24/7, and have the correct protein.

3. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

I'd give them a run of wormer.

My last batch took off like a shot after I wormed them.

Pete

4. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

I would do like Pete...worm them. They will really slow down when wormy.

5. bluelacedredhea

bluelacedredhea Well-Known Member

Something else to consider here too, and that is the Breed. Tamworth's fell from popularity for a couple of reasons. One being their colour, and the other being the fact that they are a much smaller and slower to finish pig.

Sows mature between 500 and 600 lbs. Boars 600 to 700.

We are expecting our first litter this week or next, so I can't really give you particulars on what to expect as far as growth. But we bought our Boar at 4 months of age, and like you, we thought he seemed to take forever to mature.

BTW, we feed 3 lbs of hog grower in the morning and 3 lbs at night mixed with water Per Pig (along with veggie and meat scraps). It takes less than 5 minutes for them to clean their "plates"..

6. djuhnke

djuhnke Well-Known Member

I've dewormed them so we'll see. They jsut don't seem like they eat alot. I've been feeding them dry mix of 3;1 corn/soy meal. But they leave alot in their feeder. Their momma would eat all of it if she could get to it. I'll see if the deworming makes a difference. THey are 100-115 lbs at 105 days. Just seems slow but maybe I'm impatient.

7. royB

royB Well-Known Member

Dan, one thing I noticed about ours. When it got hot here, above 85 or 90, they didn't eat much of the corn supplment mix. I started soaking it overnight and now they have a fit when I walk into the pen.

I feed morning and night, 2 lbs corn plus 1/3 lb of the supplement each pig at each feeding. If I mess up and forget to saok it they will not eat half.

Roy