Finishing out Fryers

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by pointer_hunter, Apr 30, 2005.

1. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

I sold all of my rabbits while we sell our home. Once we are moved and settled, I will build up again. I'm looking at different approaches to things. I'm thinking of building a few 10x10 pens to keep the does in and just rotate a buck through. During the summer months, I want to put a tractor together and let the fryers finish on pasture.

My questions:
    I found an article that talks about raising rabbits on 100% alfalfa with maybe some greens mixed in. Can I plant an acre of alfalfa, run the tractor over it and bale it to feed during winter months or do I have to go with the pellets?

In Winter, can I put the fryers in a growing pen with the hay and maybe add goat milk to the diet to finish them off better?

2. pointer_hunter

So no one has any experience or comments on using goats milk to finish off the fryers? I know that it can be used on pigs, calves and chickens.

Thanks Chas....I'll probably have a single cage for the buck and just put him in once a month or so.

3. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Speaking with one of my parish's priests, Monsignour Dillon (who is 89 years old), he told me how he used to raise rabbits and feed them milk for the last two weeks before butchering. He claimed it made them more tender and tastier. Go for it!

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

4. pointer_hunter

Thanks Pat, I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't kill them all. The man I bought a few of my does from use to put in calf replacer for the doe about a week before she kindled. He said it helped her produce a lot of milk for the kits.

5. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Using Calf Manna is a pretty common practice for increasing milk supply with rabbits. Just be really careful, as studies have shown that using it too early in the pregnancy or for prolonged periods will literally change the content of the doe's milk and resulting in death of the kits. I've experienced this first hand, too.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee