finishing food

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by jackie c, Sep 20, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I have heard that a pig should be finished so that their meat gets firm. What do you feed them and for how long before slaughter? Thanks all.

2. Purina has a starting feed and a finishing feed program for the pig raiser. However a lot of people like to switch over to chopped corn the last few weeks to give them a good flavor. I'm finishing a pig out right now with chopped corn and left overs from a bakery which consist of biscuits and gravy, cinamon rolls, cupcakes, dinner rolls, loafbread, etc. etc. It's gonna be a Honey Suckle Pig! :D

3. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

LOL

That sounds great! I'm wondering...see, you aren't supposed to feed potbelly pigs corn cause it causes them to go to lard. So, do you finish a potbelly with oats instead??

I never heard of having to harden up the meat of a pig....interesting..

4. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

I've read that too much oats will give you soft pork. Potatoes too. Hmm, now where did I read that? Oh yeah. I think it was in "Raising the Homestead Hog" by JD Belanger. He gives you the maximum percentages you can feed of "soft pork" foods without ill effect. Don't hold me to it, though. I don't have the book in my hands, and it could have been somewhere else.

5. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

Okay, it just reminds me though that I need to go to the library. It would also be very good right now to know some Viet Namese who raised pot bellies!

Mayhap, it might be a load of manure, but from what I've been seeing on these potbelly sites, they are healthier on the same type feeds as horses.

I really like lean pork...I like wild meat it is so good!

6. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

My "Feeds and Feeding" book states that "a pig fattened on corn and such supplements as tankage, meat scraps, fish meal, or dairy by-products their carcass is sufficiently firm and hard . . .Barley ranks first for bacon production, followed by oats and peas"

My "Small-Scale Pig Raising" book mentions pigs being raised on fish only in Newfoundland but being finished two weeks to a month (within 50 pounds) of slaughter with barley (about 100 pounds each) to change the fat.

I can't get barley so we use corn mostly. Ours butchered out find.

One of the books mentioned to watch the amount of soybean and peanut meal used as this might produce soft pork.

7. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Thanks people. I got a real good deal on cracked corn this year so that what they've been getting, plus chiken guts(lately), grass and clover. I guess that will work fine. Thanks again for the input.

8. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

If you want tender meat, simply age it in the fridge for a week prior to cooking, if you want it firm but not tough, then the last day of aging, do so uncovered in the fridge. Other than that, if it was a healthy pig, the meat should be good, regardless of what its last meals were