finished building bathroom in cabin

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sue currin, Aug 22, 2006.

1. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

Just finished building a bathroom in old cabin, starting on Kitchen here in a minute, Got about 6 days to finish up everything, felling the pressure, and that seems to slow me down for some reasion. I know I should just keep on at it, and everything will work out. But I think I start to pantic a little and that shuts me down. Need to finish up the wireing and a little plumbing. lay a floor in kitchen, build the counter tops and some more cabinets, install a heater and add a window. Then lay the floors in the den and bedroom. Everything is far away to get supplies and I am finding myself haveing to go more often as I go along and this takes so much time. And I know so does looking at Homesteading, but that seems like to much to give up right now, so here I am with a whole lot of work just waiting for me. But every wall I put up gives me much delight. I think I am tired. Will post photos, and find out what I should have done differently.

2. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

How come you only have six days?
    Are you doing it by yourself?
    That's an amazing amount of work to squeeze into 6 days. :)

3. sue currin

Got 6 days because the appraisal is going to be in 6 days, Have been owner financing for a while and now is Bank time, Was working to get the money to do all the work, now down to the wire.

4. sue currin

went to town to get plumbling supplies and the timing belt broke on the car. worked with it for 3 hours then got a ride home. Got to figure out how to get it home in the morining. one more day in my life.

5. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Isn't that the way it works!!

Looking forward to the photos. We're rooting for you to get'er done!

6. sue currin

I am just so sad right now.

7. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

I bet it will all work out for you, but it sure does feel terrible while you are right in the middle of it.

We had a house built back in 1999. Was suppose to be done for us to move in in October. Finally moved in middle of Nov with well not hooked up, no carpet, master bath not done and basement not even started on. Was a full walkout basement with the kids bedrooms downstairs. We partitioned off areas on the main level for the teen age kids (using furniture and sheets) to use as bedrooms while we frantically worked on finishing up the basement. Bank was getting real pesty as we needed the appraisal done, and without the basement finished, it would have been appraised as a 0ne bedroom house - which would not have qualified us for the mortgage we needed.

Worked like banshees every free moment we had (both had full time jobs too).

Now it's almost hard to remember back to what it was like . . .

Cathy

8. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I remember the pressue of paying penalties on the construction loan and having no idea how I was going to finish it in time for the mg company to let me convert to a permanent loan so the judge would award the house to the kids and I in the divorce.

My DD's godmother is a Seven Day Adventist and one Sunday car after car pulled up to our homestead at the end of the middle of nowhere and missionary students started pouring out of the cars. It think about 2 dozen students were there and I had never met any of them before.

By the end of the day, baseboards were on and painted, the exterior front and rear were painted, doors were installed in bedrooms and closets, etc. Even the yard around the house was cleared. They said a prayer and blessing, climbed back into their cars and waved goodbye. We got to keep our house. I still get teary-eyed remembering what a blessing that was!