fingernail fungus treatment needed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by agmantoo, Sep 11, 2005.

1. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I have a relative that has fingernail fungus and has tried the prescription treatment without lasting results. Using the drug has major side effects and I do not want her to take a second round. Has anyone had success with a natural treatment? If so, please response with details. TIA

2. westbrook

westbrook In Remembrance

vinegar
    tea tree oil
    listerene

all 3 of these have anti-fungal properties. Be prepared for this to take a year to treat. I have talked to people that soak their nails in any one of these three each night. I have never had any problems but I know a few people that did and this was the method they used.

3. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

TO TREAT FUNGAL INFECTIONS UNDER FINGERNAILS:
    Keep an eggcup full of methylated spirits on the kitchen sink and dip your fingers in several times daily.
    OR
    Cut fingernails short and apply white iodine once a day, making sure it gets under the nails.
    OR
    Mix together 5% boric acid, 5% sulphur to a small jar of petroleum jelly or soft white paraffin. Apply under a bandage.
    OR
    Soak the fingertips in tinned pineapple for about an hour. Wipe dry and sprinkle with a little cornflour, and rub it all over the hands. This treatment is also good for tinea of the feet.

And yes, tea-tree oil is a specific for any fungal infection.

4. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I had a friend who got fingernail infections from acrylic nails. The doctor told her to use white iodine, like culpeper suggested.

5. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Grandfatherbear had a horrible fungus in his thumbnail. I didn't want him taking the liver-damaging antifungal pills for months. The Hispanic population here treat by soaking the nail in straight vinegar for 20 minutes twice a day. Within a month his nail was normal.