Fingerling Potatoes

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by JAS, Aug 31, 2006.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

My son wants to try growing potatoes next year for our farmers market. He likes to dig in the dirt--I don't!

He has a few types picked out but would like to try a fingerling type, which I am not familiar with. What is a good, dependable variety that he can try? Also, are there companies that are better for potatoes than others? A fellow marketer told me not to order out of the seed catalogs, because the seed potatoes look more like potato chips. Not sure where else to get fingerling seed though.

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Not certain what your fellow marketer would be talking about unless it's about those companies which sell eyes instead of whole pieces. Then perhaps one could say that they look like potato chips. You don't often find fingerlings sold as eyes but some do. They have more eyes than a regular potato so each such piece often may have 3 or 4 eyes.

Finding a mail order or Internet company that sells fingerlings shouldn't be too hard. Finding one with a big variety is harder. The most common one is German which has been around for a long time. If any company has only one variety of fingerling, that's usually the one they have. Same is true with other local sources of seed potatoes.

There's not much difference in growing fingerlings than regular potatoes. I like to give them a few more inches to spread on each side of the row. With so many eyes in some little pieces, there may be a half-dozen plants pop up and all want room to produce their tubers.

I love mine. Despite 116 hills of regular potatoes, which would already have been too many, also planted about 30 hills of those fingerlings. They are the only one's we've been eating since I dug up a few hills several weeks ago!

Martin

3. bare

bare Head Muderator

4. ginsengsally

ginsengsally Well-Known Member

Russian Banana is a great one. Very productive & customers love them. www.fedcoseeds.com

5. HomesteadBaker

HomesteadBaker Working toward the dream

Great catalog with exceptional variety! I ordered 4 kinds of seed potatoes from Fedco, 2 of which are fingerlings. When a row of fingerlings accidentally got "weeded", we had some awesome fingerling potatoes for supper!! I have ordered from Fedco for many, many years and have NEVER had a problem with any seed from them.

Plus, Fedco is a company with ethics. They recently dropped one of their major seed suppliers (Seminis) because it was bought out by Monsanto. Yeah, Fedco!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

6. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

This is a great one the buissness recently changed hands but still family owned. Also I have ordered from Seed savers exchange and been very happy

7. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Finger types are usually yellow fleshed or cream colored and taste excellent. You almost don't need any butter on them.

8. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I second what woodspirit said They are delicious and I sold all I grew for market in one saturday last year.

9. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Fedco gets 99% of my business. Excellent business run by cool farmers.

10. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Wood Prairie Farm in Maine grows and sells them. In fact some of their product is available from Johnny's Seed Company in Maine. Wood Prairie is organic.
    Ann

11. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies! I started ordering from Fedco last year and was very happy with them.

How do fingerlings keep? We don't see them in the grocery stores around here, or at least not very often.