finding the speed sensor

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by DayBird, Jun 8, 2005.

1. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

The problem with my Ford taurus seems to have been tracked down. It's taken 3 weeks and 17 trips to various places trying to determine the problem.

The check engine light came on. I took the car to AutoZone. Code 500. Speed sensor malfunction. The elderly gentlman who was helping me said, "Yep, that's your problem. Take it down to see (the man down the road) and he'll fix it for you." The man down the road almost laughed at me.

Two more places later and the engine light came on again. I took it to Napa. They said the same thing that the man at AutoZone told me. I asked what the part looked like and they showed me. It's small, not much to it. There's a bracket attached with only a place for one bolt.

I decided to take it to the local Ford dealer. "Oh yeah, you have a speed sensor problem." I decided not to pay them the $400 to have it replaced. I went back to Napa and bought the $25 part. It's sitting here on the desk beside me.

The problem, I can't locate it on the transmission. The Napa guy said it was on the side nearest the dash, but I cannot find it. My repair manual is still packed in one of these moving boxes and I can't seem to find it.

Anybody got any clues?

2. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

Daybird,

I don't have the answer to your question, but go to the following link. You'll need to register, then go to the Ford section, then Taraus. I've been able to find the answers to my questions there.

Bob

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I'm not in my shop but simply going from memory. Under the car at the back/top of the trans there will be wires running to the transmission. Look inline where the axles go into the transmission as it will be taking a reading from the output shaft that turns the axles. It will have probably a 2 wire plug, this should be your vehicle speed sensor. This provides a signal to the speedometer and the control module for vehicle speed.