Finding goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by spring77, Jan 30, 2005.

1. spring77

spring77 Well-Known Member

Hello,

I am thinking about getting a dairy goat. My fiance and I are moving to the fingerlakes region of New York and we are planning on living the homestead life. My long term goal is to buy a heifer calf and raise her to be our milk cow, but I am strongly considering getting a milk goat to learn on and to provide us with milk till the cow gets going. I have a few questions.

The first is what is the best way to locate a milk goat for sale in upstate New York? I've looked online and found a few goat farms/dairies so I know there are goats around. But how do you locate just the average goat person? I'm not really concerned about registered stock or super high production. I'd like a good run-of-the-mill grade doe. How do you locate the small goat lover who may have one to sell but no website?

What is the best time of year, stage of lactation to buy a milk goat? I recognize that goats need companionship. Are two milking goats better than onedoe and a wether or one doe and her kid? If I bought a milking goat and a buck kid as a wether, would she need the wether's company after she kidded? I mean, are her kids sufficient companionship for her or will she need another mature goat? I would be contemplating eating/selling the wether at that point if it was not stressful on the doe. I don't want to keep a lot of excess animals around to feed if at all possible.

2. Farmgirl2005

Farmgirl2005 Well-Known Member

I'm not quite sure about where in New York, but have you done research on different breeds you might want and always, always get more than one other wise youll end up with a very depressed goat on your hands.
    Theres a few starter tips.
    SOrry Lyn

3. spring77

spring77 Well-Known Member

Thanks Farmgirl

I'm not actually asking for names and contact info so much as advice about HOW to get in contact with folks with goats. I am not that concerned about breeds as long as they're dairy goats, although I am leaning away from Nubians. They are a little noisy in my (limited) experience. But I'd be happy with whatever I came across as long as she was healthy and giving good milk. I'm just looking for leads. Are there goat clubs in NY, or an online directory for people who don't want to set up a website?

4. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I am upstate email me. Let me know when you want one , I have a few just breeding now and some due sooner.

FORBESFARM@MSN.COM

5. mommagoose_99

mommagoose_99 Well-Known Member

[In New York State I would contact your local cooperative extension. They will have names for the local goat clubs and owners and 4 H people. I am sure they can put you in touch with someone with a goat for sale. I live in the Binghamton area and call on my Cooperative extension for such information. I especially like the one in Owego NY they are very friendly and helpful.

6. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Talk to Patty on this list.

Also go to ADGA.org and look up the clubs in your area. Also go to lynnhavennubians.com email Lynn, tell her than Vicki McGaugh sent you :) ask her if she knows of any healthy does for sale in your area. Just because you don't want a show doe or registered goat does not mean you do not want healthy tested stock. All of us have the doe with the poor udder that is the perfect family milker that we can't keep to show. And there are folks who get too big to fast all the time who are selling out. Vicki

7. billooo2

billooo2 Well-Known Member Supporter

If you buy in the spring those goat farms that do show usually have milkers for sale that will not have a show quality udder, but are still good milkers. And you probably will not pay much more than anywhere else.

Buy from someone who does CAE testing. It may save you potential heartache later.

One caution....goats can be addictive....once you have them you may forget about the cows. :)

8. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

You might ask at the local feed stores if anyone is breeding goats. The feed stores around here have bulletin boards locals use for advertising - everything from fencing to llamas.

The big advantage to buying animals from someone very local is that you can go and take a look at their barn situation and their other animals. If the barn is just disgusting and the other animals don't look healthy - then don't buy any critter from them.

9. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Oh, for the other part of your question. 2 does will obviously give you more milk right off the bat. You can buy wethers really cheap, though. If you do get a doe and a wether, once the doe's kids are a couple of months old they'll be plenty of company for her and you can do as you will with the wether.