Finding Co-Homesteaders

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sol, Jun 25, 2005.

1. sol

sol Muse

We have 40 acres within an hour of Portland, OR, and are trying to
    find like-minded people with a homesteading mindset (you know)
    who can help us care for the place. You know, friends you haven't
    met yet. :) There doesn't seem to be an obvious place here to post a
    discussion of how to find quality people for such situations. I'm
    cautious about strangers, and would welcome advice (or even
    referals to really good people.) Anyone else delt with this issue and
    found a good method to search out the kind of people you would let
    live on your property with you? You know, like-coparents to the land.
    :) Thanks.

-s

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

Hi sol, Welcome to the board! I have no advice on how to find like minded folks but a few suggestions on things you might want to discuss with prospective candidates.

1. First establish what you mean by like minded! Read some threads here to see what I mean about that term meaning many different things to different people.

2. Find out what their views on being a good land steward are ie; chemicals/organic, hunting/no hunting, things like that.

3. If they will be living in close proximity to your home, things like politics,religion, lifestyle, etc should be discussed-some differences are good but if you're totally opposite it could get uncomfortable.

4. Families with kids-are you opposed to them or are kids welcome

5. Work sharing-who does what, how often, ect.

6. Equiptment-who provides what

7. Views on tobacco, alcohol, drugs, parties, visitors. Don't assume anything, it's better to ask before there's a problem.

8. Expenses for seed, feed, livestock-shared or each family owns & pays for their own.

9. Profits if any-are items made or grown on the farm considered owned by both parties and any profits are split after expenses?

10. Aesthetic values-do you agree on how to maintain the yards, property, proper storage of old vehicles, trash, etc?

Well, that's my helpful hints for today!! :haha:

Good Luck, sounds like a wonderful opportunity for the right person/family!! :)

Let us know how it goes!!

Kathy

3. magdabauer

magdabauer Active Member

we've tried to find some co-homesteaders on this site and got only grief - somebody wrote my message was creepy, others said "why should i work on your place when i could work on my own". a couple of "nibbles" came from aged mothers tired of taking care of their "problem boys" ("he's a good boy but he got in with a bad drug/alcohol crowd and just needs to stay away from them when he gets out of jail"). in short, we've had no luck although we offered a place to stay, free use of our equipment and no expectation to participate in any of the mortgage payments. i've talked to some of the characters who stand at intersections with signs "will work for food" and offered them $10/hr plus meals - without exception, all were no-shows when i went to pick them up at an agreed-upon place (because they did not have transportation). one guy i saw the day i was to pick him up for work standing at a different location with the same sign - i assume that standing with a sign brings in better than $10/hr! oh well. . .

4. sol

sol Muse

Magdabauer -- that's exactly the sort of thing I'm worried about running into.

Maybe we should start a co-homesteader matchmaker club, and we can help vet each other's potentials?

KY Guest -- yes, these are some very good questions. I've done
    similar matching before and found that my list of questions does
    overlap yours by a fair bit.

Thanks, both -- all. I'm serious about that vetting proceedure. Let
    me know if you want to give it a go. We could even write up a set
    of matching questions and get some contracts put together. Just
    a thought or five. :)
    -s

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Have you considered the caretaker gazette?

Also, my MIL did something like this for some years back. She went to the local college and let it be known that she would take a border for $100 a month plus 6 hours of outside work. She got some very fine people in.

It ALSO meant that she was not a middle aged widow living alone, and she had help with the work around the place.

She would decide what she wanted done for the 6 hours of outsidework, and she prefered that it be done within a week. That meant the student could study for the tests when he needed it, but the fence got repaired in a reasonable amount of time.

Nobody stayed longer than a year or three, but it was a very usefull arrangement. Because everybody has their own life and their own dreams to follow, nobody EXPECTED them to stay long. Your own border will not either. S/he will want to come, work until s/he is set up to follow her dreams, and then leave to follow those dreams. It is how people do things.

But, it IS a good way to get a roof over ones head for a short period of time, and the landowner (my MIL) benefited from the labor.

6. Mommalee

Mommalee Well-Known Member

Check your private messages, Sol! I wanted to know more details about what you're looking for, as I may know people who would be interested. Or email me at annika@thefreesite.com

7. Mommalee

8. Pork Chop

Pork Chop Member

Sol,
    I would be more interested in what you are looking for as what you have to offer.

PorK Chop

9. sol

sol Muse

Thanks for the comments, all! I'm getting some private queries, and
    that's great. Please contact me if you're interested in more specifics.

10. sol

sol Muse

... does anyone have any suggestions for background checks? If I've got
    someone(s) who I think would be good to co-homestead with, surely I should
    treat that as seriously as I would a simple renter -- more-so! -- so what kind
    of background checks might be suitable? I run a business, so I know all
    about references, personal and professional, but background checks? Anyone?

For that matter, anyone HERE do background checks professionally? I'd rather
    give such work to someone who understands homesteading priorities.

And what's "bump" about?

11. Mommalee

"bump" was because there is so much traffic on this forum and so many posts that this one was bumped way down to page 3, so I wanted to bump it up to the top so you wouldn't forget about it. I never got a reply to my private message. I was just wondering what you were looking for in co-homesteaders.

For background searches, there are lots of websites that will do it for a fee, like USSearch.com and others. I don't think you can get really detailed information on people for free, although for what you're looking for you may not need to dig that deep. Depends what you want to know.

I was just curious in which direction from Portland your property lies. We were once looking to buy outside Portland. So beautiful.

12. sol

sol Muse

Mommalee, I've tried some 10 times to get through to you! I've tried
    messages here -- your box was full each time -- and sent email to
    annika@thefreesite.com as well! No reply! :) I'll try that latter again,
    but I'm not sure what else to try next.

Thanks so much!

13. Mommalee

Woops! my fault... I had no idea my box was full. I'll check my spam at my email account, too. Might have ended up there.

14. CurtinMN

CurtinMN Member

Have you considered the caretaker gazette? --> I agree with Terri. Just go to www.caretaker.org to find the best people possible. I have used the caretaker gazette myself, with great results. Hope this helps, Curt

15. Mawna

Mawna Well-Known Member

hummm funny thing....this is an idea I have entertained a few times myself. Although I don't have a business to run here on the place, I still have several acres down below that someone with alittle imagination could pull in a camper and have a nice little private area to stay. We are trying to build this place on our own and have found another set of hands would really come in handy. I have often thought of a gentleman on a fixed income that doesn't have any family, but still has alot of spunk and vinegar and is a jack of all trades.

What keeps me from really going out and advertising is the risk involved. And then just when you think you know someone BOOM they end up being a tad bit loonie. I would not allow drugs what so ever. And not a booze hound.

I am going to keep up with this post and see how things go for you. I will probadly only keep entertaining the idea though it would be nice, to have someone that needed a place to stay and be happy to help the hubby with the heavy stuff. But in this day and time it is probadly not a reality.

16. sol

sol Muse

Exactly! But I liken this to dating: just because you find one looser, you don't stop looking for the perfect mate. Or the imperfect mate! :) So, yes, I agree with you and consequently I'm cautious, and also quite concerned about the risk. Hence my mention of background checks, and my strong perference for personal recommendations over putting up ads.

I imagine this is much like finding a caretaker or nanny for your child -- it takes time to be sure, and you do background checks and you're still taking a big risk, but it's that or do it ALL alone.

Sigh!

17. Imagoofygoober

Imagoofygoober Well-Known Member

I have thought of this, too. I mean, the whole idea of helping out each other is great. Back in the 60's I would have been one of those that ended up on a commune somewhere, looking for Utopia. But in these times, you have to be very careful. You can't trust anybody. And if you can, getting past your own instincts to NOT trust anyone can be nearly impossible.

We have been entertaining the idea of buying a trailer and pulling it out onto a piece of property for some time now. But we really want our own place. We have kids and large dogs and are just tired of having to deal with everyone. Never had any complaints from landlords or neighbors about our kids or our dogs, but still, living in suburbia and answering to someone else is just not the way to go. As long as I can remember, my father told me--"Get yourself a plot of land, put a trailer on it. Build your own home in your own time. That's the only way to do it." So I guess it is engrained (sp?) in me to want to do it.

But how the heck do you support yourself and your family? I mean, there 's a zillion things to factor in. You would need help when just starting out. Hard to get past the thought that you'll run into a freak along the way somewhere. ;)

18. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Just a suggestion ..... Maybe you should post more (repley to other people's posts a little more). You sound like you would like to get to know someone as friends to help out. Well they might like to get to know you too!!! Post so we can get to know you. Many people here are cautious of strangers too

19. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

In WV we have a Market Bulletin where you can run free/cheap ads re: farm land, animals, work. I'd try a place like that as well as asking in the area at a feed store or the ag-sciences at the college if there is one nearby.

20. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Some on here are putting together a picnic for WA homesteaders. Have you thought about going to that? Or hosting one for OR homesteaders?