Finding burried 1-inch pvc water lines

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by East Texas Pine Rooter, Aug 7, 2004.

1. East Texas Pine Rooter

East Texas Pine Rooter Well-Known Member

I was using 2-coat hangers bent at 90-degrees, and held in front of me a chest level today to locate the burried lines. i didn't have much success. anybody have a better way to find them, short of just start digging?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I under stand the witching wires work better when the water is flowing. Is it possible to have water running through the pipe long enough to try again?

3. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

I have gotten pretty close using the coat hanger method. And Will is right, it works better if you have water running through the pipe. The bad news is you get the same reaction from a phone wire or an electrical wire that is buried.

4. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

do you pick up the electrical wire even if the power is off?

5. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

A compass or metal detector can also be used on a waterline .

6. Not to be a spoil-sport, but how does either of those pick up a pvc water pipe? And where I live water lines need to be burried 5-6' deep, even if iron pipe, don't see how those devices would make a valid hit?

--->Paul

7. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

It doesn't work if the PVC is empty. Has to have water in it or a tracer wire alongside of it. I don't understand the chemistry or whatever but it is kind of magical when you are walking along with those two wires and suddenly they turn in your fists and instead of pointing straight out in front of you they each go in opposite directions to your left and right.

8. OD

OD Well-Known Member

9. Idahofarmergal

Idahofarmergal Well-Known Member

It works better for some folks than others. Some are just more sensitive. If it doesn't work for you, get a few buddies to try. Who knows, you just might start one of them off on a new dowsing career.

10. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

copper wires work better for dowsing. It doesn't work for everyone. it does not work at all for me, but my husband hits them every time.

Jena

11. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

If the water line is not too deep, I have found by experience that the best way to find the line is to rent a trencher and trench across where you expect to find the line. Where the water comes gushing up out of the ground is where you will find the water line. Be sure to have a compression coupling on hand to patch the line to save a quick trip to the home center. :eek: :waa: :haha:
    Dale (DH of mary, tx)

12. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't personally believe in water-witching at all, seems like total bunk to me. To each their own on that topic, don't want to get in a flame war on it. :)

But someone suggested a compass or metal detector, that's what I was asking about.

--->Paul

13. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

rambler, where in MN do you live? I got a $100 bill that says it works, you on?

14. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Nope. I've watched Owigie boards 'work' too. Can you explain water witching, how it works? That I'd be interested in. Not interested in watching.

Still curious on how a compass will find water lines, which is where I entered this thread, not to argue about magic.

--->Paul

15. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

No, paul I can't explain it, just know it works, I have found electrical wires, drain tile, water lines, septic lines. This goes as far back as biblical times (big no no in the Bible, btw)

16. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

If you have water in the pipe the metalic elements in the water will affect the magnetic fields in the area of the pipe. The flux variations will register on the equipment.

17. East Texas Pine Rooter

East Texas Pine Rooter Well-Known Member

What happens when you cross a water line with a hand held compass? That seems like a sure fire bet.

18. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Too bad, rambler, it's such fun to go to a piece of bare land and witch a well then step back while the well driller goes to work and viola! there is water coming out of the pipe, usually at the depth suggested and at the rate suggested! BTDT all the time. Our 2 local well drilling companies have no problem at all with using this method as it saves them time and saves the property owner $$.

19. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

Run a string line from starting point to ending point. it should be close to that line

20. The coat hangers will work if the water line is not to deep and your soil is sandy. Its just the technique is wrong. Try sticking the wires down in the soil and when you feel something hard, you dig there.